Posted to general@xml.apache.org by Sc...@lotus.com on 2001/08/01 16:10:10 UTC

Re: Canonical XML

> So it could be interesting to use some package
> namespace like org.apache.security or org.apache.xml.security for things
> like this.

I would be very enthusiastic about a full xml-security project.

-scott

                    Christian Geuer-Pollmann
                    <geuer-pollmann@nue.et-inf.uni-        To:     Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>, general@xml.apache.org
                    siegen.de>                             cc:     pmc@xml.apache.org, (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)
                                                           Subject:     Re: Canonical XML
                    07/31/2001 02:15 PM
                    Please respond to general

Hi Ted,

--On Dienstag, 31. Juli 2001 11:07 -0700 Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>
wrote:

> [I'm redirecting this again to general, since this is a proposal for a
> code contribution and possibly a project creation]
> I personally would be interested in seeing this happen.  Your initial
note
> in general indicated that you thought that Xalan would  be the best place

for
> this.
> I'd like to see some discussion of where the best home is for this
> implementation.
> Should this get folded into Xerces or Xalan or commons, or should we
> create a new subproject

Well, I'm not sure what's the best place for something like this. With
"Canonical XML", "XML Signature" and "XML Encryption", we have three
standards that are related to XML and Security/Cryptography. This means
that they _use_ Xalan and Xerces, but the do not extend them. For instance,

my "Canonical XML" makes heavy use of the org.apache.xpath package, but it
does not extend it... So it could be interesting to use some package

<ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>
> Subject: Canonical XML
>
>> I've written a complete implementation of Canonical XML [1] and I'm
> working
>> on an implementation of XML Signature [2]. My canonicalizer [3] is based
> on
>> Apache Xerces and Xalan2, written in JAVA and performs all tests from
the
>> spec [1]. The software includes JUnit tests to ensure functionality and
> has
>> some small sample programs to see how it works.
>>
>> Is there any interest by the Apache XML Group to incorporate this
>> software into e.g. an org.apache.security package?
>>
>> Would be nice to hear from you,
>> Best regards, Christian
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/
>> [3] http://www.xmlsecurity.org/
>>
>> PS: I asked general@xml.apache.org, but there was no response from the
>> list....

Re: Canonical XML

Posted by Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca.
+1. Yes, I am interested in this. I think it's important new stuff for XML
Apache.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

Re: Canonical XML

Posted by Christian Geuer-Pollmann <ge...@nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de>.
If it is possible that non-pmc menbers can vote:

+1 for xml-security

BTW: http://www.xmlsecurity.org/ has been updated. There now is an actual
CVS server hosted @ sf.net

Re: Canonical XML

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@covalent.net>.
+0 from me. Yes - I'd love to give this a '+1' - but then I also would
feel responsible to make this happen. And that is something I personally
do not have the bandwidth for. But I am supportive :-) Go guys !

Dw

McNealy: Bacon and Egg breakfast: the chicken is supportive (+0); but the
	pig is fully commited (+1). Very appropriate for the sort of
	morning grub I get served here in london this week :-0>

Re: Canonical XML

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1 for xml-security.

Thanks,
dims

--- Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com> wrote:
> Ok,
>
> +1 for xml-security
>
> Where is everybody -- It can't be that no-one care about this can it?
>
> Ted

=====
Davanum Srinivas, JNI-FAQ Manager
http://www.jGuru.com/faq/JNI

Re: Canonical XML

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Ok,

Re: Losing Internal Subset When Cloning

Posted by Sriram Rao <sr...@informix.com>.
Thanks Elena, but the I don't see set methods in the DocumentType
interface. Also, the 'value' property of a DocumentType node is null.

Is there a way to set the internal subset for a DOCUMENT_TYPE_NODE?

Thanks Again,
Sriram

Posted by Elena Litani <el...@ca.ibm.com>.
Sriram,

Posted by Sriram Rao <sr...@informix.com>.
Hi,

When deep cloning a DOCUMENT_NODE (of a DOM created using Xerces parser), I
loose the 'internal subset' property of its DOCUMENT_TYPE_NODE child. That
is, docType.getInternalSubset() (where docType is of type
DOCUMENT_TYPE_NODE) returns null. This method however returns the correct
internal subset for the DOCUMENT_TYPE_NODE child of the DOCUMENT_NODE
(created by parsing XML document into a DOM) from which the clone was created.

Any idea why this is happening? Any work-arounds?

This may not be the correct alias to talk about the Crimson parser (anyone
aware of the correct alias?). However, when using the Crimson parser, deep
clone of the DOCUMENT_NODE completely looses its DOCUMENT_TYPE_NODE child.
Also, the internal subset is not set for the DOCUMENT_TYPE_NODE child of
the DOCUMENT_NODE originally created by parsing an XML document.

I would appreciate any help in resolving these issues with Xerces and
Crimson parsers.

Thanks,
Sriram

Losing Internal Subset When Cloning

[xml-security] Re: Canonical XML

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
Ok,

my apologies for not being quick and up to date on this.

So far I see 3 pmc +1's, one +0 and no -1';s.  That seems like
enough to get this project going on.  Unless someone in general
objects by Friday, we'll get started on creating an xml-security
project.

Ted