Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dirk Olmes <di...@xanthippe.ping.de> on 2008/02/26 16:38:05 UTC

Re: Best practice to represent an arbitrary collection of jars as a single dependency?

Brown, Carlton wrote:
> Hi all, newb question here...
>
> Somewhere long ago, an internal dev project started depending on
> foo-corp/lib/**/* of a 3rd-party framework, which ends up being a random
> collection of 50 jars or so.  What's the Maven best practice for
> representing a "big bag o' jars" as a single dependency?
>
> I know it would be ideal to resolve our dependency graph with greater
> granularity, but until someone has copious free time to do that, we'd
> need a simple interim solution to move us forward on the Maven track.
>
> Just to make it clear, the repository dir would look something like:
> /foo-corp/bigbagofjars/5.7/
>
> And it would contain a random selection of goodies such as:
> apache-commons-codec_1.3.jar
> apache-commons-discovery_1.1.jar
> apache-commons-logging_1.1.jar
> axis-jaxrpc_1.1.jar
> axis-saaj_1.1.jar
> axis-wsdl4j_1.1.jar
> axis_1.1.jar
> bsh_1.3.0.jar
> jdom_b8.jar
> junit_3.8.1.jar
> ldapjdk_5.2.jar
> log4j_1.2.8.jar
> oracle_9.2.0.5.jar
> xalan_2.6.0.jar
> xerces-xml-apis_2.6.2.jar
> xerces_2.6.2.jar
> xpp3_min-1.1.3.4.I.jar
> xstream-1.1.3.jar

Make sure that all these artifacts are accessible through some Maven
repo. Then create a new pom along these lines:

<project ...>
     <groupId>foo-corp</groupId>
     <artifactId>bigbagofjars</artifactId>
     <version>5.7</version>
     <packaging>pom</packaging>

     <dependencies>
         <dependency>
             <groupId>commons-codec</groupId>
             <artifactId>commons-codec</artifactId>
             <version>1.3</version>
         </dependency>
         .... etc etc etc ..
     </dependencies>
</project>

Deploy that pom to your inhouse repo and have everybody reference it as:

<depenency>
     <groupId>foo-corp</groupId>
     <artifactId>bigbagofjars</artifactId>
     <version>5.7</version>