Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2005/08/31 11:42:49 UTC

[Summary] [RFO] [1.4] JCR-only vs. Repository Abstraction Layer

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya devs,
>
> we have to come to a decision about the repository question.
> People stated their opinions, it looks like there are two
> general directions.

> (a) Lenya should focus on JCR only. It is OK to implement core
>     functionality which absolutely relies on JCR features.

It looks like the general opinion of the community is to go
for a JCR-based approach.

Some concerns that were brought up:

- Is this sufficient? Can we require people to implement JCR
   to access custom repositories?

- Is Jackrabbit stable enough to act as the default Lenya
   repository implementation?

If these concerns are not considered weighty, we should start to
re-design the Lenya repository layer. IMO it makes sense to use
a Wiki page to collect random thoughts and to refine them gradually.

Of course a meeting (brainstorming day) would be great. Maybe all
involved people want to visit Zurich? :)

-- Andreas

Re: [Summary] [RFO] [1.4] JCR-only vs. Repository Abstraction Layer

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>>> (...)
>>> - Is Jackrabbit stable enough to act as the default Lenya
>>>   repository implementation?
>>

>> I agree that's a valid concern. I guess, from the community
>> perspective, we have to try :) An alternative scenario is to base
>> Lenya's content handling on the JCR API anyway (meaning, a Lenya node
>> becomes a JCR node etc.) and for storage have our content mapped
>> one-to-one onto files, as it is now.
>

> Does this mean that we provide our own stripped-down JCR implementation?

Yes. What I am wondering is if it would be possible to turn the current
Lenya repository implementation inside-out. Lenya internals would only
use JCR classes (instead of e.g. Lenya's Node class). The current
repository implementation becomes Lenya's stripped-down JCR
implementation, which would be registered using the same mechanism as
any other JCR implementation. I'm not sure that makes sense, but if it
does, it should make for a smoother transition.

--
Wolfgang

Re: [Summary] [RFO] [1.4] JCR-only vs. Repository Abstraction Layer

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
J. Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
>
>> (...)
>>
>>> (a) Lenya should focus on JCR only. It is OK to implement core
>>>     functionality which absolutely relies on JCR features.
>>

>> (...)
>> - Is this sufficient? Can we require people to implement JCR
>>   to access custom repositories?
>

> What is meant here with access to custom repositories ? If it's
> integrating external sources, that IMO has no effect on Lenya/JCR: if
> you want the CMS to manage that source, it's no longer external and it
> would instead need to be imported.

I share this opinion. But, to quote Michi:

 >> But - do we really want to allow editing a Forrest site?

 > sure. No offense, but if Lenya isn't able to do this, then Lenya is
 > pretty useless. If Lenya doesn't allow building a Forrest publication,
 > then I think we have totally missed the goal of providing a Content Management
 > Framework

IIUC he means that Lenya should be able to edit external content directly.
Please correct me if I got this wrong.

> If instead you want data managed
> elsewhere to be displayed within a publication, this also wouldn't be
> affected by Lenya switching to JCR
> So IMO this question is not applicable
>

>> - Is Jackrabbit stable enough to act as the default Lenya
>>   repository implementation?
>

> I agree that's a valid concern. I guess, from the community perspective,
> we have to try :) An alternative scenario is to base Lenya's content
> handling on the JCR API anyway (meaning, a Lenya node becomes a JCR node
> etc.) and for storage have our content mapped one-to-one onto files, as
> it is now.

Does this mean that we provide our own stripped-down JCR implementation?

>> If these concerns are not considered weighty, we should start to
>> re-design the Lenya repository layer. IMO it makes sense to use
>> a Wiki page to collect random thoughts and to refine them gradually.
>>
>> Of course a meeting (brainstorming day) would be great. Maybe all
>> involved people want to visit Zurich? :)
>

> I'd be interested in that. I'm coming to Zurich anyway on a personal
> matter Sept. 24-25, so let me be the first to propose a date ;)
> How about monday, Sept. 26th ?

+1, if my boss agrees :)

Posted by "J. Wolfgang Kaltz" <ka...@interactivesystems.info>.
Andreas Hartmann schrieb:
> (...)
>> (a) Lenya should focus on JCR only. It is OK to implement core
>>     functionality which absolutely relies on JCR features.
>
> (...)
> - Is this sufficient? Can we require people to implement JCR
>   to access custom repositories?

What is meant here with access to custom repositories ? If it's
integrating external sources, that IMO has no effect on Lenya/JCR: if
you want the CMS to manage that source, it's no longer external and it
would instead need to be imported. If instead you want data managed

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:
>  > Of course a meeting (brainstorming day) would be great. Maybe all
>  > involved people want to visit Zurich? :)
>
> Good idea, but depends on schedule. Would this be on a working day or
> rather in the weekend? Will one day do?

Michi started a thread ("Lenya Hackathon Proposal").

-- Andreas

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <ts...@apache.org>.