Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> on 2005/09/25 22:20:34 UTC

[RT] Blocks that modify web.xml

Seeing as we're all in RT mode at the moment...

So, I remember someone (Carten?) saying that the only blocks that need
to modify something 'core' were those that needed to modify web.xml,
perhaps because they needed to provide their own servlet.

Surely, if, in an OSGi scenario, if a block needs a servlet, it should
register it directly with the OSGi servlet container service, rather
than messing with Cocoon's web.xml?

Just a thought.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: [RT] Blocks that modify web.xml

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 26 September 2005 04:20, Upayavira wrote:
> Surely, if, in an OSGi scenario, if a block needs a servlet, it should
> register it directly with the OSGi servlet container service, rather
> than messing with Cocoon's web.xml?

Has it been sorted out how OSGi platform will be positioned in relation to the
Cocoon Servlet?? I.e. Is Cocoon a plain servlet capable of running in the
OSGi standard HttpService? Is OSGi runtime platform running embedded inside
the CocoonServlet? Both? Other?

If OSGi is embedded in the Servlet, it seems 'difficult' to provide a bridge
between the outer servlet container and the OSGi HttpService. Does the
servlet spec even allow runtime access to configuration and management yet
(have not looked at it since 2.1 or something)?
Personally, I don't care if Cocoon would be stand-alone, but I think a lot of
people would call it regression and get upset ;o)

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [RT] Blocks that modify web.xml

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:
> Seeing as we're all in RT mode at the moment...
>
> So, I remember someone (Carsten?) saying that the only blocks that need
> to modify something 'core' were those that needed to modify web.xml,
> perhaps because they needed to provide their own servlet.
Yepp, this is a complete list:

a) databases
Adds the driver class to web.xml to load the driver - we could either
forget about this or make different bundles/blocks/whatever for each driver.

b) faces
Adds an own listener

c) slide
Adds own servlet and mapping

d) xindice
Adds own servlet and mapping

e) XSP and all blocks adding logicsheets
The configuration for XSP is still in the main cocoon.xconf, so this one
has to be patched for XSP and logicsheets.

In addition, I could imagine a spring support adding the listener/filter.

I think slide and xindice are only required for the samples, or am I wrong?

Carsten

http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/