Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2013/07/04 22:20:02 UTC

[ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Hi,

we had this discussion lately where we talked about attracting new
contributors for commons [1]. Over the past few days I've been thinking
about this topic again and I've come to the conclusion that there are
several things we could do to improve our "public relations".

Here is a list of things that I would like to change (and by this I mean,
that I volunteer to do the work ;-)

1. Make commons more visible in coding social media
 - request git mirrors for every proper component, so that everything is
also at github
 - add all proper components to Ohloh (and clean up the existing ones)
 - create a Twitter account where we can post news from commons. The Mesos
project already has such an account. [2]

2. Make the website more attractive
 - Use a modern design - I don't know who said it, but I loved it when
someone said "our website looks like we're java 1.3 users". Well, this is
true. Simone made several attempts to make commons switch to the maven
fluido skin [3,4,5]. I think the time has come to finally do something
about the website.
 - include a news section on the main page - Having all the components
listed on the home page is a good thing for navigation, but what I'm really
interested in, are news about the development. A new git mirror has been
created? Cool, thanks for telling me. Collections 4 alpha1 has been
released? Good to know, I'll download it right away. No need for a big fat
list that contains all components when most people probably only use a few.

WDYT?
Benedikt

[1] http://markmail.org/message/o7ef6o4ahe23k5iu
[2] https://twitter.com/ApacheMesos
[3] http://markmail.org/message/tkh4yqfcqg5i444g
[4] http://markmail.org/message/jnlyhbh5yq3zp54t
[5] http://markmail.org/message/jk4addjqw67476bk

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Posted by Julien Aymé <ju...@gmail.com>.
</snip>

> FYI: INFRA has resolved INFRA-6500 [1]. All proper components are new
> mirrored to git.apache.org and github :)
>
> Benedikt

Nice !! Thanks a lot Benedikt !

Julien

Re: [ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
Hello.

> we had this discussion lately where we talked about attracting new
> contributors for commons [1]. Over the past few days I've been
> thinking
> about this topic again and I've come to the conclusion that there are
> several things we could do to improve our "public relations".
>
> Here is a list of things that I would like to change (and by this I
> mean,
> that I volunteer to do the work ;-)
>
> 1. Make commons more visible in coding social media
>  - request git mirrors for every proper component, so that everything
> is
> also at github
>  - add all proper components to Ohloh (and clean up the existing
> ones)
>  - create a Twitter account where we can post news from commons. The
> Mesos
> project already has such an account. [2]
>
> 2. Make the website more attractive
>  - Use a modern design - I don't know who said it, but I loved it
> when
> someone said "our website looks like we're java 1.3 users". Well,
> this is
> true. Simone made several attempts to make commons switch to the
> maven
> fluido skin [3,4,5]. I think the time has come to finally do
> something
> about the website.
>  - include a news section on the main page - Having all the
> components
> listed on the home page is a good thing for navigation, but what I'm
> really
> interested in, are news about the development. A new git mirror has
> been
> created? Cool, thanks for telling me. Collections 4 alpha1 has been
> released? Good to know, I'll download it right away. No need for a
> big fat
> list that contains all components when most people probably only use
> a few.

3. Insert links to Commons projects in the "External links" section of
    related Wikipedia articles.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Huge +1

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 7/8/13 2:51 PM, Thomas Neidhart wrote:

> Otoh, the single most important factor to attract users and/or
> contributors is simply to actively maintain the project and try to be
> better than competing libs, imho. There are several examples of
> components that were probably great a few years ago, but are now way
> behind other libs in terms of features, usability, java language
> support,  community.
>
> Personally, I think we should be more open to deprecate components that
> are not maintained for years and have better alternatives. Right now,
> commons sometimes looks like a graveyard of once cool stuff (with a few
> exceptions). Cut it down to well maintained and really used libs, and
> probably more people will think that commons is a good place to develop
> new stuff / components.

+1
Phil

Posted by Jonas Sprenger <sp...@gmail.com>.
> 1. I'd like to make it easier for users to identify which components may
be
> of interest for them. One way to accomplish this would be to introduce
> categories like they did in the wikipedia article about commons [1]

+1

Would be way easier to find tickets to start with.

>  [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Commons
Someone realised that there is a message on the commons wikipedia site
saying "*unclear citation style*"? I removed all external links within the
body, hopping that the 'Warning' might disappear someday ;)

Posted by Julien Aymé <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
I'd really like to see that, but as far as I can remember there were
arguments against this kind of change, when we discussed this the last time.
Maybe you can just create a [PROPOSAL] or even a [VOTE] and  we'll see what
happens? ;-)

Benedikt

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
2013/7/4 Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>

> Hi,
>
> we had this discussion lately where we talked about attracting new
> contributors for commons [1]. Over the past few days I've been thinking
> about this topic again and I've come to the conclusion that there are
> several things we could do to improve our "public relations".
>
> Here is a list of things that I would like to change (and by this I mean,
> that I volunteer to do the work ;-)
>
> 1. Make commons more visible in coding social media
>  - request git mirrors for every proper component, so that everything is
> also at github
>  - add all proper components to Ohloh (and clean up the existing ones)

I've worked my way through Ohloh this weekend. I cleaned up all components
that where already present. They all follow the structure of [MATH] now:

Project Name: Apache Commons <component-name>

I've updated all URLs and added links to the mailing list.
I also added some tags were it seemed reasonable.

I ran into problems with some components:
* IO could not be renamed because "Apache Commons IO" is already in use.
I've searched Ohloh for this name and didn't find anything. So I've created
a request in their support forum. Some for Commons Transaction.
* There are two entries for OGNL: The components and Commons and the
original source at github.
* Betwixt, FileUpload and Jelly haven't synchronized for a long while. I've
created a separate thread for this in the support forum.
* I wasn't able to edit JEXL, because it is managed by henrib.

Most components don't have a manager and changes can be made by anybody. I
don't know if it makes sense to restrict this.

Now I have enough of Ohloh for a week :-) I'll start adding missing
components, when I got the time.

Regards,
Benedikt

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
2013/7/5 Anshul Zunke <an...@gmail.com>

> I think this can be done through social medias like Facebook etc. If we
> create an official page of this community and some of us could give some
> time in helping members of the page through their java code etc they will
> get attracted towards contributing.

I don't see training of inexperienced developers as a responsibility of
commons.
We have the user ML for questions about using the components.

Or do you think mailing lists are to dated to attract younger people?

Benedikt

Posted by Anshul Zunke <an...@gmail.com>.

--
Anshul Zunke

Re: [ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Anshul Zunke <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benedikt,

I will add 1 more imp point.

We should public relations more with the student circles. No doubt Apache
is very very popular in java programming group. But ppl especially students
dont know how to contribute in it.

Thanks

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:25 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All good ideas.
>
> Gary
>
> On Jul 4, 2013, at 16:20, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > we had this discussion lately where we talked about attracting new
> > contributors for commons [1]. Over the past few days I've been thinking
> > about this topic again and I've come to the conclusion that there are
> > several things we could do to improve our "public relations".
> >
> > Here is a list of things that I would like to change (and by this I mean,
> > that I volunteer to do the work ;-)
> >
> > 1. Make commons more visible in coding social media
> > - request git mirrors for every proper component, so that everything is
> > also at github
> > - add all proper components to Ohloh (and clean up the existing ones)
> > - create a Twitter account where we can post news from commons. The Mesos
> > project already has such an account. [2]
> >
> > 2. Make the website more attractive
> > - Use a modern design - I don't know who said it, but I loved it when
> > someone said "our website looks like we're java 1.3 users". Well, this is
> > true. Simone made several attempts to make commons switch to the maven
> > fluido skin [3,4,5]. I think the time has come to finally do something
> > about the website.
> > - include a news section on the main page - Having all the components
> > listed on the home page is a good thing for navigation, but what I'm
> really
> > interested in, are news about the development. A new git mirror has been
> > created? Cool, thanks for telling me. Collections 4 alpha1 has been
> > released? Good to know, I'll download it right away. No need for a big
> fat
> > list that contains all components when most people probably only use a
> few.
> >
> > WDYT?
> > Benedikt
> >
> > [1] http://markmail.org/message/o7ef6o4ahe23k5iu
> > [2] https://twitter.com/ApacheMesos
> > [3] http://markmail.org/message/tkh4yqfcqg5i444g
> > [4] http://markmail.org/message/jnlyhbh5yq3zp54t
> > [5] http://markmail.org/message/jk4addjqw67476bk
> >

> > --
> > http://people.apache.org/~britter/
> > http://www.systemoutprintln.de/
> > http://twitter.com/BenediktRitter
> > http://github.com/britter

Anshul Zunke

Re: [ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
All good ideas.

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2013/7/7 Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>:
> 2013/7/4 Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we had this discussion lately where we talked about attracting new
>> contributors for commons [1]. Over the past few days I've been thinking
>> about this topic again and I've come to the conclusion that there are
>> several things we could do to improve our "public relations".
>>
>> Here is a list of things that I would like to change (and by this I mean,
>> that I volunteer to do the work ;-)
>>
>> 1. Make commons more visible in coding social media
>>  - request git mirrors for every proper component, so that everything is
>> also at github
>>  - add all proper components to Ohloh (and clean up the existing ones)
>>  - create a Twitter account where we can post news from commons. The Mesos
>> project already has such an account. [2]
>>

> I have created a twitter account: https://twitter.com/ApacheCommons
> Please follow and retweet ;-)
>
> The account is linked to my @apache.org email address. Where do I put the
> password?

usually others Apache projects stored that in pmc private area.

--
Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [ALL] Improving Commons public relations

Posted by "Bruno P. Kinoshita" <br...@yahoo.com.br>.
Hi Benedikt

>I have created a twitter account: https://twitter.com/ApacheCommons
>Please follow and retweet ;-)

Great initiative! I'm already following it, thanks!

And while on a similar subject, few days ago I started a small python project to create a Twitter bot [1], that reads the [ANNOUNCE], [ANN] and [ANNOUNCEMENT] messages posted to the announce mailing list and tweets them. I've been doing that manually in another Twitter account, and thought it would be cool to automate it (like what was done in the Jenkins CI project [2])

I finished the code yesterday and after a few tweaks, and after today's release (Apache Camel) I believe it is working correctly, though I'll have to wait few more announcements to make sure it has no bugs.

The code is hosted at GitHub [3], it's written in Python and uses a GPL MarkMail API (some simple python REST client).

Thanks again and have a great week.

[1] http://twitter.com/asf_releases
[2] http://twitter.com/jenkins_release
[3] http://github.com/tupilabs/asf_releases_aggregator

Bruno P. Kinoshita
http://kinoshita.eti.br
http://tupilabs.com

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 July 2013 14:48, Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/7/6 sebb <se...@gmail.com>

>> mean,

>> > I have created INFRA-6500 [1] for this purpose. Lot's of work to do for
>> > INFRA :-)
>> > Infra wants you to tell them whether your SVN repository layout follows
>> the
>> > known conventions, so I didn't create requests for:
>> >
>> > * DBCP - it has a file "release-process.txt" on the top level. Can we
>> move
>> > it to dbcp/trunk/ ?
>>
>> Why is it a problem having files at top level?
>>

> I don't know which tools infra uses to create the git mirrors and having
> files in the top directory is not a standard svn repository layout [1]. So
> I thought, I'd better ask :-) If you think it's no problem, I'll just
> create the issue and see what infra says.

I know it's not a problem for SVN.
I have no idea if it is a problem for a Git mirror.

>> > * JCS - it has a tempbuilds/ folder that contains RCs of previous
>> releases.
>> > What to do with this?
>>
>> I think it should be deleted.
>

> Okay, do we need to discuss this on a separate thread or can I just go
> ahead and remove it?

Best to start a separate thread using [JCS] prefix; it's nothing
directly to do with this thread so may be overlooked by some.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <be...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 July 2013 13:52, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> 2013/7/4 Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we had this discussion lately where we talked about attracting new
>> contributors for commons [1]. Over the past few days I've been thinking
>> about this topic again and I've come to the conclusion that there are
>> several things we could do to improve our "public relations".
>>
>> Here is a list of things that I would like to change (and by this I mean,
>> that I volunteer to do the work ;-)
>>
>> 1. Make commons more visible in coding social media
>>  - request git mirrors for every proper component, so that everything is
>> also at github
>>

> I have created INFRA-6500 [1] for this purpose. Lot's of work to do for
> INFRA :-)
> Infra wants you to tell them whether your SVN repository layout follows the
> known conventions, so I didn't create requests for:
>
> * DBCP - it has a file "release-process.txt" on the top level. Can we move
> it to dbcp/trunk/ ?

Why is it a problem having files at top level?

> * JCS - it has a tempbuilds/ folder that contains RCs of previous releases.
> What to do with this?

I think it should be deleted.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.