Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@apache.org> on 2016/07/08 15:36:20 UTC

[DRAFT][REPORT] July board report

Team,

Here is a draft of what I plan to submit to the ASF board for our
quarterly report.  Please review and provide feedback on anything you
think needs adding or clarified.

awesome to see how our community is growing!

Will submit in a day or so.

Thanks
Joe

========

 - Apache NiFi is an easy to use, powerful, and reliable system to process
 and distribute data.

## Issues:
 - There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
 - First RC for MiNiFi which is a subproject of Apache NiFi is being
reviewed and voted upon.  It will be Apache MiNiFi 0.0.1.
 - Second RC for Apache NiFi 0.7.0 is being prepared for a vote.  The
first RC was cancelled due to licensing concerns and a couple blockers
found by community members during testing.
 - Apache NiFi 1.0.0 is nearing RC stage.  Looks like it could happen
in a couple of weeks but significant effort remains to pull that
release together.
 - Numerous meetups and conference presentations featuring Apache NiFi
and its collaborative role with other Apache technologies have
occurred in the past few months. Social media commentary and Q&A for
NiFi on various channels (twitter, stackoverflow) has increased
considerably.
 - We have created a new issues mailing list for automated updates
from Github and JIRA so that we can keep the signal to noise level on
the dev list higher.

## Health report:
 - Activity on mailing lists, JIRA, Git remains strong.
 - During the last review cycle we have new committers and PMC progression.
 - The pipeline of committers working toward PMC status remains strong
and the community documented how to progress to PMC
https://s.apache.org/Ogm7
 - However, we are not without risk. Supporting both the 0.x and 1.x
lines is taxing. We've documented the support plan
https://s.apache.org/I9Rf but as it is early we need to closely review
this to ensure it is working.
 - The rate of PR production to PR review and disposition means we
have a growing trail of PRs.  We need to focus on this in the coming
quarter.
 - The rate of JIRA creation to JIRA disposition means we have a
growing number of JIRAs.  We need to focus on this in the coming
quarter.

## PMC changes:

 - Currently 14 PMC members.
 - Andy LoPresto was added to the PMC on July 7 2016
 - Joe Percivall was added to the PMC on May 16 2016
 - Last PMC addition was Andy LoPresto on July 7 2016

## Committer base changes:

 - Currently 22 committers.
 - New commmitters:
    - Pierre Villard was added as a committer on Sun May 29 2016
    - James Wing was added as a committer on Tues May 10 2016

## Releases:

 - nifi-0.6.1 was released on Mon April 18 2016

## Mailing list activity:

 - users@nifi.apache.org:

 - dev@nifi.apache.org:

## JIRA activity: