Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Peter Vawser <pe...@nehta.gov.au> on 2007/07/10 01:38:09 UTC

maven plugin descriptor error

Hi,

  I am new to maven and have been trying to create an example mojo.
Everything works fine. I can build the site and add documentation.
However, when I try automate the creation of xdoc html in my pom file, I
start to get errors. If I then remove the plugin details added for the
generation of this html, my entire project is corrupt. I keep getting
the error that the plugin descriptor for my plugin can not be found. All
I have done is edit the pom file and try to clean and install. Can you
offer any advice as to what the problem may be? Can you point me to
where I can get documentation on what is meant by plugin descriptor?

Thank you in advance.

Peter Vawser

nehta - National E-Health Transition Authority

Phone:   +61 (0)8 82053511

Email:     peter.vawser@nehta.gov.au <ma...@nehta.gov.au>

Web:      www.nehta.gov.au <http://www.nehta.gov.au/>

Re: maven plugin descriptor error

Posted by Steven Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Peter,

Do you have <packaging>maven-plugin</packaging> ?  I'm not sure what the
plugin descriptor not being found could be caused by - this descriptor
is an xml file that is generated automatically by maven.

Are you familiar with the docs?:

http://maven.apache.org/guides/plugin/guide-java-plugin-development.html
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/

The site:site goal has a configuration item called "xdocDirectory" -
have you tried to set it?:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/site-mojo.html

In general, unless you provide more specifics (the text of the errors
you get, the actual POM configuration, etc.), it will be difficult to
provide any more guidance.

Steve