Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/29 11:47:58 UTC

[VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

I created a release candidate for hadoop-0.22.0 available for review at:
http://people.apache.org/~shv/hadoop-0.22.0-rc0/

The candidate incorporates more than 700 fixed jiras counting from the
release of 0.21.0.
The branch was cut on November 17 last year. During this year the
branch was tested by different groups in the Hadoop community.
Recently it has been extensively tested on a mid-size cluster.
It contains important improvements, optimizations and bug fixes for
HDFS and MapReduce compared to 0.21.0. Some features introduced in the
latest offspring releases of hadoop-security are not yet ported to
this branch, which is mostly related to security and MapReduce
improvements. Compared to 0.23.0 this release will not contain
Federation or Yarn.
The hadoop-0.22.0 release build is fully automated thanks to the
BigTop team. rc0 artifacts are available and reproducible on Hadoop
Jenkins. The validity of rc0 has been also verified with BigTop.
I think this could be a usable release and an important step forward
in the Hadoop roadmap.

Many people contributed to hadoop-0.22. Thank you everybody who
developed code, built, tested, found and fixed bugs or supported this
effort by any other means.

Please try it out and vote.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Eric Baldeschwieler
<er...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I'm fine with the idea of alpha releases. I think they are important.  I'm a bit confused on where this is going.
>
> what are your criteria for declaring the 0.22 branch stable?

I am not declaring anything. I am just proposing a release, which a
part of the community worked on and which runs on several clusters
that I can observe.
It is up to the community to decide what is stable and what is not.

> Is compatibility with 1.0 and security a goal for this release line?

As previously discussed security is turned off in this release.
LinuxTaskController has been removed.
I don't know what you mean by compatibility with 1.0.

--Konstantin

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@hortonworks.com>.
I'm fine with the idea of alpha releases. I think they are important.  I'm a bit confused on where this is going.

what are your criteria for declaring the 0.22 branch stable?  Is compatibility with 1.0 and security a goal for this release line?

---

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
> Given, the 'feature' regressions in MR (security, operability etc. - http://s.apache.org/critical-0.22.0), I propose we mark hadoop-0.22.0 as 'alpha' quality too with necessary statutory warnings to end users to alert them to the differences in terms of missing features. Else, we could land up confusing users - this has come up before on this list: http://s.apache.org/Go9. Seems reasonable?

Yes the community can decide to qualify hadoop-0.22.0 as 'alpha'. As
RM I only propose a release candidate, everybody else can evaluate the
quality. We can have a discussion in a separate thread.
Based on my personal experience I would not qualify it as "not yet
ready for serious use".

> On a related note - it would help if you could share your thoughts on the roadmap for releases off branch-0.22.
> Some questions come to mind, these would help the community (and, of course, end-users) evaluate current & future releases of the branch:
> # Do you plan to fix security in branch-0.22?
> # Do you plan to _test_ security end-to-end for the whole ecosystem?
> # Do you plan to fix some of the critical operability features such as disk-fail-in-place, MR tasklogs' handling etc.?
> # Could you share any details on the performance work/benchmarks you've done for 0.22? How does it compare to hadoop-0.20.2xx for e.g.? Various folks, at different points, have noticed performance regressions in branch-0.22 - have you checked?
> # Do you have timelines in mind for the above?

These are all good questions Arun. All of these items would improve
the quality of the branch.
Again, I don't see RM's role as a spiritual leader drawing roadmaps
for the community. We all should decide where we want to go with this
and other releases.
I can say for myself that I will be closely working with this branch
for at least some time. And as usually will make sure to merge all
findings into it.
As a discussion topic (for a separate thread) we can consider two
options for upgrading MR in 0.22:
1) To do forward porting of improvements from 1.0.
2) To merge MR-1.0 into branch-0.22 and make it work with HDFS.22

Ideally, it would be more productive to converge under a single
branch, rather than spreading the development resources among multiple
ones. Yet another way is to have a higher level of compatibility
between versions/branches, so that one could mix and match components,
say HDFS.22 + MR.23.
I heard other people thinking along the same lines.

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Konstantin,

On Dec 3, 2011, at 4:43 PM, Konstantin Shvachko wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 2, 2011, at 1:16 AM, Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 0.23 has "substantial regressions from the stable line" as well, and
>>> is not stable.
>>
>> Do you have a list Konstantin? We'll shoot to fix them for 0.23.1...
>>

> This was not intended to criticize 0.23 release.
> I am merely referring to its alpha status.
> IMO 0.23 is a good and timely release.

No offense taken, we've been very clear about 'production-worthiness' of hadoop-0.23.0 at this point in time.
For example, here is the warning for end-users on the releases page:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html#11+Nov%2C+2011%3A+release+0.23.0+available

OTOH, if you are aware of any 'feature regressions' please bring it to our collective attention and we'll try to get them fixed for 0.23.1. One feature regression I knew of i.e. disk-fail-in-place for the NodeManager is already fixed for 0.23.1 (MAPREDUCE-3121). If you have others, please let me know.

Also, we've agreed, on this list, that hadoop-0.23.1 (sometime in mid-to-late December) should be marked as 'alpha' quality as we continue to make progress stabilizing branch-0.23.

[...]

thanks,
Arun

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Arun,

Posted by Arun Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1.  Downloaded, verified, started cluster, poked and prodded.  Quite
happy about this.

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Baldeschwieler <er...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Tom White <to...@cloudera.com>.
+1

Checksums and signature are good. I ran some MapReduce jobs and they passed.

Cheers,
Tom

Posted by Benoy Antony <ba...@gmail.com>.
+1 on releasing Hadoop 0.22

I deployed the 22 version , ran few tests for file and directory
permissions, Also tested space quotas.
They work fine.

Thanks ,

Benoy Antony.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM, J. Rottinghuis <jr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do we need a 0.22 version of the docs here?
> http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/
>
> Or is that only after a release candidate has been accepted by vote?

That is only after the vote passes.

-- Owen

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by "J. Rottinghuis" <jr...@gmail.com>.
+1 This rc looks great!

Installed on production node with pretty much the same config (turned off
topology script and adjusted dfs.name.dir from a path to url).

Ran typical hadoop fs commands (copyFromLocal, copyToLocal, rm, rmr, cp,
du, etc)
Ran some of the examples (teragen, terasort, randomwriter, bbp)
Ran several distcp jobs using an hftp source url top copy various datasets
from clusters with different Hadoop version.
Ran a dozen or so jobs and killed jobs and task-attempts.
Ran hdfs fsck and dfsadmin

On the NN and JT UI I clicked through all the links I could find.

Observations:
When submitting jobs I see:
"WARN conf.Configuration: mapred.used.genericoptionsparser is deprecated.
Instead, use mapreduce.client.genericoptionsparser.used"

When running distcp I see the additional warning:
"WARN conf.Configuration: mapred.job.name is deprecated. Instead, use
mapreduce.job.name"

When no TT can connect to the JT (due to missing topology script), clicking
on the number in the nodes column on jobtracker.jsp shows an exception. I'm
letting a larger distcp finish overnight, will reproduce error and file
bugs for the items above.

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
+1

Ran an upgrade from tip of 205 branch on a 15 node cluster that was
carrying a bit of data.  Then deployed tip of hbase 0.92 branch (built
against hadoop 0.22.0) on this hadoop-0.22.0RC and ran a basic upload
that used MR w/ a bit of node killing in-between for kicks (the sync
stuff looked to be working properly).

St.Ack

RE: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G <ma...@huawei.com>.
+1
 executed the same tests again with the updated artifacts, Working fine.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
+1 - everything seems correct.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
I updated the artifacts.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.
+1 on the latest artifacts. Downloaded and verified md5 and signature.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Yes, you are right, according to Hadoop bylaws.
http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html#Decision+Making

--Konstantin

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Owen,

Could you please clarify. Do you mean the vote should ran 3 more days
or can be closed now?
As mentioned earlier the file hadoop-0.22.0.tar.gz was regenerated
last Saturday due to a trivial change in the packaging script. The
Hadoop sources in it remained unchanged.
Please advise.

Thanks,
--Konstantin

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <Ko...@Boudnik.org>.
Thanks for the correction Owen - that makes sense.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 10:29 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>> I am sure things like that are controlled by projects' bylaws that's why
>> there's nothing specific at the apache level about that.
>
> The vote is required to be on a source tarball. Generated artifacts
> and subversion tags may be provided as a convenience, but are not the
> release. If the source tarball is the same, the vote holds. If there
> are any changes to the source tarball the vote should restart.

I believe there's been +3 PMC votes since the update (Doug, Jakob[recast]
and Konstantin) of the artifact and an extra +1 based on Bigtop testing.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by Owen O'Malley <ow...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
I am sure things like that are controlled by projects' bylaws that's why
there's nothing specific at the apache level about that. As far as I remember
Hadoop's bylaws don't have any saying wrt a situation like this.

So, I believe the vote is good despite the change in the structure of an
archive which didn't lead to _any_ changes in the functionality.

Cos

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Scott,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
> I agree with you: they artifacts are essentially the same, so there's no need
> to reset the vote IMO.

Agreed. I compared the two tarballs and the changes don't warrant retesting
from the standpoint of functionality.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: [VOTE] Release hadoop-0.22.0-rc0

Posted by Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Shvachko <sh...@gmail.com>.
Roman,

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1 Checksums look good, RAT shows no significant license problems, tests
pass.

Doug

Posted by "Cheung, Po" <po...@ebay.com>.
+1

Thanks,
Po

[...]

Posted by Mi...@emc.com.
+1

Downloaded, installed on single node, (simple authentication), ran hadoop
mapred examples successfully.

- Milind

---
Milind Bhandarkar
Greenplum Labs, EMC
(Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author, and
do not necessarily represent the views of any organization, past or
present, the author might be affiliated with.)