Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Donald Sharp <sh...@cisco.com> on 2002/12/13 14:39:59 UTC

How big can the repository get?

Hi!

I'm starting to look at subversion to see if it meets some of
our needs.  One of my concerns is that it be able to hold
a *very* large repository.  I saw that there is a page
that lists some sample sizes.  Our current repository size
in clearcase( with actual db size and number of Change sets ) is several
orders of magnitude bigger than the largest repository listed.

Has anyone done testing to see what happens in these situations?
Are there physical limitations to the database sizes?

thanks!

donald

Re: How big can the repository get?

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Brandon Ehle wrote:

>> I'm starting to look at subversion to see if it meets some of our
>> needs.  One of my concerns is that it be able to hold
>> a *very* large repository.  I saw that there is a page
>> that lists some sample sizes.  Our current repository size
>> in clearcase( with actual db size and number of Change sets ) is
>> several orders of magnitude bigger than the largest repository listed.
>>
>> Has anyone done testing to see what happens in these situations?
>> Are there physical limitations to the database sizes?
>>

> Our largest repository is 13GB, about a 4.1GB strings file and about
> 9GB of log files.  Please note that the 4.1GB thats required to store
> is almost a 2:1 compression ratio with what our wc would look like if
> we checked out all the unique files (around 9GB).

Why do you insist on keeping old logs around? If they're not used by the
database any more, there's no reason to keep them.

Re: How big can the repository get?

Posted by Brandon Ehle <az...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Donald Sharp <sh...@cisco.com>.
The current number of files is aprox 42k.  A full copyout from
clearcase takes up about 1gig.  Directories can range from
a couple of files to hundreds-small thousands.

thanks!

donald

Posted by solo turn <so...@yahoo.com>.