Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2015/01/24 18:56:17 UTC

Short-term priorities for OpenOffice

I see five short-term (say, something that must be either done or put
towards completion by end of February) priorities for OpenOffice as a
project. They overlap, and we, especially the PMC, need to agree on how
to order them, otherwise we risk pulling in different directions and
mutually blocking the initiatives from others.

1) Election a new PMC Chair (the Chair has one, and clearly defined,
role: being the liaison officer between the OpenOffice PMC and Apache;
he/she can do much more, and I have been doing much more and I'll still
continue with the rest; but this is not part of the Chair duties).

2) Internal reorganization: people say what they are going to do to
drive the project forward (so an "active" approach rather than the "I
don't have time, but someone should..." approach which is not working).

3) Re-alignment between PMC and active community (the PMC, not the
Chair, steers the project; so people who work must be in the PMC and
people in the PMC should confirm they are still interested in being there).

4) External reorganization: decide how we see OpenOffice as part of a
larger ecosystem, so what we can do in terms of collaboration with other
projects that are from Apache or from outside Apache.

5) Release OpenOffice 4.1.2 (all of this must produce something for our
users!). This has a number of significant subtasks and preliminary tasks
(Release manager, digital signing...) but it would be pointless to
address them now.

I'm asking for consensus, especially from PMC members, that we can carry
forward these 5 actions in the order I used above. I know you might have
different priorities, but if we manage to get these 5 items tabled we
can get rid of the "I see other priorities" blocker. Note that, if we
act responsibly and we are determined, we could start a new item (of the
5) every week, so by the end of February we can find an answer or a
roadmap for everything listed above.

Do you agree with this scheduling? If it's a "no", please say it now
(and please give an alternative, otherwise we can't move), but if we
have a large majority of "yes" I'll move forward according to this plan.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Short-term priorities for OpenOffice

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 24/01/2015 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> 1) Election a new PMC Chair (the Chair has one, and clearly defined,
> role: being the liaison officer between the OpenOffice PMC and Apache;
> he/she can do much more, and I have been doing much more and I'll still
> continue with the rest; but this is not part of the Chair duties).

Seeing that things are moving very fast now, it's clear to assume that
we are doing #1 first. Good.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/25/2015 09:26 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Can we agree on this simplified version, so that we can take the first
> steps?

To make it short: Yes.

Marcus

RE: Short-term priorities for OpenOffice

Posted by Mechtilde <oo...@mechtilde.de>.

> Can we agree on this simplified version, so that we can take the first
> steps?
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Yes we should start

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice.org

Re: Short-term priorities for OpenOffice

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi all,

Andrea Pescetti schrieb:

> Taking into account the different opinions expressed so far, I'm now
> seeing a certain agreement on:
> 1) Election a new PMC Chair ...
> 2) Internal reorganization: people say what they are going to do to
> drive the project forward ...
> Later) Re-alignment between PMC and active community ...
> Later) External reorganization: decide how we see OpenOffice as part of
> a larger ecosystem ...
> Later) Release OpenOffice 4.1.2 ...
>
> The "Later" items need not be done in this order. What matters is that
> nobody should push their completion as priorities over #1 and #2.

I agree on that order.

Regina

Re: Short-term priorities for OpenOffice

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 01/24/2015 06:56 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:

> 4) External reorganization: decide how we see OpenOffice as part of a
> larger ecosystem, so what we can do in terms of collaboration with other
> projects that are from Apache or from outside Apache.

For me this is no thing that can be solved short-term. Furthermore, we
should first solve the internal things to be able/ready to think about
external affairs.

> 5) Release OpenOffice 4.1.2 (all of this must produce something for our
> users!). This has a number of significant subtasks and preliminary tasks
> (Release manager, digital signing...) but it would be pointless to
> address them now.

Looks like an easy/fast task. Actually I haven't seen any progress here
since weeks. So, even this doesn't look short-term.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
Because of its tangible nature, I would move #5 (AOO 4.1.2to #3), sliding #3 and #4 down to #4 and #5.

I think releasing AOO 4.1.2 is tangible work.  I can see steps on Re-alignment with Community and External Organization moving along at the same time, and Community Re-alignment might matter for AOO 4.1.2, but I think #2 is a bigger deal.

Basically, I don't see why there is linearity so much after #1 and #2, which are critical.  AOO 4.1.2 and Community Re-alignment can clearly work together.  External organization is a bit longer term and rather independent initially, if I understand what Andrea is looking for there.

 - Dennis

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 24, 2015 11:30 AM, "Andrea Pescetti" <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 9:56 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>>
>>> 1) Election a new PMC Chair ...
>>>
>>> 2) Internal reorganization: people say what they are going to do to
drive
>>> the project forward ...
>>> 3) Re-alignment between PMC and active community ...
>>>
>>> 4) External reorganization: decide how we see OpenOffice as part of a
>>> larger ecosystem ...
>>> 5) Release OpenOffice 4.1.2 ...
>>>
>>> Do you agree with this scheduling? If it's a "no", please say it now
(and
>>> please give an alternative, otherwise we can't move), but if we have a
>>> large majority of "yes" I'll move forward according to this plan.
>>>
>> For me, #1, #2, and #5 seem tangible and do-able in the short term,
thought
>> I suspect #5 will be longer than February.
>> No opinion on #3.
>> Until we address internal issues, does it make sense to think about #4 in
>> any serious way? I'm not sure of the extent of this one, and don't see
this
>> as a short term goal. Maybe more information on ideas would help.
>

> What I'm suggesting is exactly to avoid discussing ideas on everything at
the same time to ultimately get nothing. So I am saying: before discussing
any ideas for #4, let's get give priority to #1, #2 and #3. And of course
one week is not enough for the release; things will have to proceed in
parallel, but the toxic behavior we must avoid it that someone blocks
another discussion by saying "No, we should make a release before that".

> Back to the point: do you have anything against the idea that we discuss
things in this order?

No. I'm good with the order.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
+1 on the 5 points from Andrea (non-binding, [;<).

Concerning ##3-4, I agree with Kay these are agreements on direction and perhaps identification of the desired state.  I can see identification of initial steps, rather than static, completed activities in February.

It might be useful to express what the desired state is, sort of the way the Apache Project Maturity Model identifies what one would observe when the model is honored at a steady state of a project.  See <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ApacheProjectMaturityModel>.

> 2) Internal reorganization: people say what they are going to do to drive
> the project forward
[ ... ]
> 3) Re-alignment between PMC and active community
[ ... ]
> 4) External reorganization: decide how we see OpenOffice as part of a
> larger ecosystem
[ ... ]
> 5) Release OpenOffice 4.1.2 (all of this must produce something for our
> users!).
[ ... ]

For me, #1, #2, and #5 seem tangible and do-able in the short term, thought
I suspect #5 will be longer than February.

No opinion on #3.

Until we address internal issues, does it make sense to think about #4 in
any serious way? I'm not sure of the extent of this one, and don't see this
as a short term goal. Maybe more information on ideas would help.

MzK

"An old horse for a long, hard road,
 a young pony for a quick ride."
                        -- Texas Bix Bender

Re: Short-term priorities for OpenOffice

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.