Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Markus Vaterlaus <mv...@mus.ch> on 2003/05/06 19:43:35 UTC

www.wyona.org down

Hi list,

I just tried to access www.wyona.org. Instead of the welcome-page, I
received the following message. Don't know, if this just temporary or a
serious problem.

Markus

<snip/ >

Resource Not Found

Message: Resource Not Found

found

Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet

Source: Cocoon Servlet

Apache Cocoon 2.1-M1

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>>
>>> www.wyona.org/index.html <http://www.wyona.org/index.html> works
>>>
>>> we havent implemented the / -> index.html matcher yet
>>>
>>> the layout is still subject to minor changes, but we are basically
>>> ready to go live at cocoon.apache.org/lenya
>

> OK, let's take this as the starting point for a discussion about
> the website.

ok

<snip/>

> Of course, but IMHO quality is (apart from content facts) hard to
> define.

agreed, but we should try to do it nevertheless

  Let's do usability tests, as soon as possible.

ok, I will call some friends ;-) I am too biased anyway.

Thanks

Michael

If tabs

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Andreas Hartmann wrote, On 07/05/2003 12.03:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>>> 1 - Apache projects are used to having the Apache project logo on the
>>> left and the sub-project one in the center or on the right.
>>> Lenya is officially Apache Cocoon Lenya, as the project is Cocoon. So
>>> it would need the Apache logo with "Cocoon" in it on the left (look
>>> at the xml and incubator and Jakarta pages for samples), and the
>>> Lenya one on the other side.
>>
>> I will change this.
>
> I added the Cocoon logo for the moment.
> Is there already a "The Apache Cocoon Project" Logo?

Nope.

> If not, what's the place to discuss this?

ATM cocoon-dev AFAIK.

There is an SVG version of the Jakarta logo in the jakarta-site2 module,
so it can be used by just changing the name of the project. It would
make all Apache projects have a consistent logo.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Apache Cocoon logo [was: Re: www.wyona.org down]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote, On 09/05/2003 13.06:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote, On 09/05/2003 11.54:
>>
>>> I used the "The Apache ... Project" SVG from jakarta-site2 to create
>>> a "The Apache Cocoon Project" logo (as you can see on www.wyona.org).
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> BTW, the new skin is very nice!
>
> It's based on Michaels ideas - clear functional Swiss design :)
> Maybe it's even worth to be committed to Forrest?

Well, it looks like a mix between the Forrest and the Krysalis one,
could it be made as a specialization of the Forrest or the Krysalis one
somehow?

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>

>> Andreas Hartmann wrote, On 09/05/2003 11.54:
>>
>>> I used the "The Apache ... Project" SVG from jakarta-site2 to create
>>> a "The Apache Cocoon Project" logo (as you can see on www.wyona.org).
>>

>> :-)
>>
>> BTW, the new skin is very nice!
>>

> It's based on Michaels ideas - clear functional Swiss design :)

right, but ideas are cheap and implementation is hard, and Andreas did
all the implementation ... (a big thank you)

btw, the Lenya logo is by Stephen England.

Thanks

Michael

> Maybe it's even worth to be committed to Forrest?
>
> Andreas

Michael Wechner
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: Apache Cocoon logo [was: Re: www.wyona.org down]

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@wyona.org>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@wyona.org>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 7/05/2003 12:03 Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:

>>> I will change this.
>>

>> I added the Cocoon logo for the moment.
>> Is there already a "The Apache Cocoon Project" Logo?
>> If not, what's the place to discuss this?
>

> I made one once for the GetTogether and reused it for my XML Europe
> presentation: http://blogs.cocoondev.org/stevenn/xmleurope/cocoon/
>
> Nothing 'official' however, though I like.

I used the "The Apache ... Project" SVG from jakarta-site2 to create
a "The Apache Cocoon Project" logo (as you can see on www.wyona.org).

Thanks for your support!

Andreas

Re: Cocoon merchandise - was: Apache Cocoon logo

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 08 May 2003 11:12 pm, Steven Noels wrote:
> On 9/05/2003 8:33 Matthew Langham wrote:
> > Hmm.. is there? I mean Cocoon merchandise? Should we set something up
> > (cafepress.com - or a European alternative)?

> Cafepress quality sux badly - when we meet again, I'll give you my
> t-shirt with OT-logo I once did over there as a test - if I haven't
> thrown it away by then
> Cafepress uses iron-on techniques, which tend to be less quality then
> screen printing. But the quality of the t-shirt itself was pretty bad as
> well (http://www.cafeshops.com/outershop).

And I thought CafePress was (to me unheard of) Coffee Shop franchise :o/

Hmmm... I need another coffee now.

Niclas

Re: Cocoon merchandise - was: Apache Cocoon logo

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 9/05/2003 8:33 Matthew Langham wrote:

>>I designed the cocoon 2.0 logo to be very easy to render (the svg is
>>minimal!) yet recognizable and easy to print on t-shirt and  other
>>merchandise.
>>

> Hmm.. is there? I mean Cocoon merchandise? Should we set something up
> (cafepress.com - or a European alternative)?
>
> What's the general opinion / legal-view-because-we-would-use-the-logo on
> this?
>
> "Recoginze fellow Cocoon'ers immediately - buy an official Cocoon T-Shirt".
> Proceeds could then go to ...... (something).

Cafepress quality sux badly - when we meet again, I'll give you my
t-shirt with OT-logo I once did over there as a test - if I haven't
thrown it away by then

Cafepress uses iron-on techniques, which tend to be less quality then
screen printing. But the quality of the t-shirt itself was pretty bad as
well (http://www.cafeshops.com/outershop).

This being said, some of you know my wife is the HRM for a local
sheltered workplace which also does t-shirt screen printing, so we might
as well pull off something on our own. We (OT) already did for the
GetTogether.

The ASF is working with http://www.jinxhackwear.com/, but AFAIK, they
don't ship to Europe (http://www.jinxhackwear.com/apache/)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: Cocoon merchandise - was: Apache Cocoon logo

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
on 5/9/03 7:14 AM Argyn wrote:

> Cocoon's also Sony's product, btw

Cocoon is also a movie. A store of sex toys. A sofa maker. A
javadoc-like C++ documentation library. And a common dictionary word.

As much as microsoft has problems enforcing "Windows", Sony would have
terrible time enforcing Cocoon on us or anybody else.

And, in any case, we are "Apache Cocoon" and the ASF has been granted
the use of the "Apache" name as long as we remain respectful of the
spirit of the native north-american cultures.

So, just like Microsoft can't stop you from making your own t-shirt with
'windows' on it (if you didn't use any trademarked logo or graphics,
that is), Sony could not stop us from making 'cocoon' t-shirt or hats or
mugs or bouncy balls or any other fancy gadget if we used our own
graphic design that clearly identified us.

Which is the case with our current logo.

--
Stefano.

Re: Cocoon merchandise - was: Apache Cocoon logo

Posted by "C. Gaffga" <cg...@triplemind.com>.
> Cocoon's also Sony's product, btw

cocoon is also a regular club event by Sven V�th in the U60 in Frankfurt.
Was in the legendary Club "Omen" before, but this one doesn't exist anymore
:(.
http://www.cocoon.net/

Christoph

Posted by Argyn <ak...@cox.net>.

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@s-und-n.de>.
> I designed the cocoon 2.0 logo to be very easy to render (the svg is
> minimal!) yet recognizable and easy to print on t-shirt and  other
> merchandise.

Hmm.. is there? I mean Cocoon merchandise? Should we set something up
(cafepress.com - or a European alternative)?

What's the general opinion / legal-view-because-we-would-use-the-logo on
this?

"Recoginze fellow Cocoon'ers immediately - buy an official Cocoon T-Shirt".
Proceeds could then go to ...... (something).

Matthew

Re: Apache Cocoon logo [was: Re: www.wyona.org down]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 08/05/2003 22.02:
> I designed the cocoon 2.0 logo to be very easy to render (the svg is
> minimal!) yet recognizable and easy to print on t-shirt and  other
> merchandise.
>
> I'm strongly -1 on changing the logo. The cocoon project logo should be
> the same as Cocoon's.

I think it's important that Apache Projects have a consistent part.
This is the reason why I have changes the Jakarta logo to match the
Apache one on the front page.

To be more precise, it's not a logo, it's just the name.

So I propose that on the left hand size there is the "standard" Apache
Cocoon logo, and in the center the Cocoon logo you like so much.

Posted by "C. Gaffga" <cg...@triplemind.com>.
> sorry to rain on the party, but I strongly dislike the apache feather
> (from an artistic point of view). We should be brave enough to stop
> using it.

It's not about the cocoon-logo, i'm always +1 with simple logos, like Atari,
only three lines and it looks great! And BTW I don't like the apache feather
as well.
I was only thinking that It would be a good thing to show in the logo, that
the cocoon project ist somehow related to apache.org.

> the SVG for the feather is sometimes bigger than the equivalent raster!!!

The size of the SVG doesn't realy matter, i think, because if your render it
with cocoon it would be serverd from the cache on the second request.

Christoph Gaffga

P.S.: Some time ago you had the folloing picture on the cocoon-site for
download:
http://www.triplemind.com/images/3rdparty/cocoon.gif, an it had the apache
feather also.
I was looking for it yesterday, but i couldn't find it anymore, where has it
gone?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by "C. Gaffga" <cg...@triplemind.com>.
Hi,
wouldn't it be nice to have this one as the offical logo? And to have it

cgaffga@triplemind.com

Posted by "C. Gaffga" <cg...@triplemind.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Apache Cocoon logo [was: Re: www.wyona.org down]

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@wyona.org>.

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@wyona.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Andreas Hartmann wrote, On 07/05/2003 10.24:
>> We decided to go Forrest. This is the default way Forrest is set up.
>
> Forrest-based navigation is not optimal to say the least. Given your
> experience and expertise, as a Forrest developer I'd be happy to apply
> patches WRT these issues, take part in discussions, etc.

OK, good to know!

>>> 4) IMHO authors don't need to be viewed
>

> Some say that having author names is bad for OS because it ties the
> piece to a person, while others say it's good because people are happy
> to contribute is they see the name.
>
> I'd go for using a generic "Lenya Developers" in the main and generic
> pages, and using instead real author names in the more specific pieces.

+1

>> I personally feel that like most of the Apache websites have drawbacks,
>> and wouldn't try to copy their site structure unless I'm forced to.
>
> No comment ;-)

Maybe I should provide some expamles instead of general criticism.
When I started using the Apache sites, the following things
made it hard:

- The download pages are not integrated in the site layout
   and looked somehow "temporary" for me as a newbie.
- The Tomcat installation guide (.txt) looks like a draft.
- The menus are quite big, it's hard to remember the location
   of an item.
- I didn't find links to some mailing list archives, especially
   on the jakarta sites.
- The readability of the Cocoon site menu is not the best.
- It was not easy find out what some projects are about (e.g., in
   the jakarta commons section).
- It is sometimes not easy to find the projects for a certain
   application. The Apache site reflects the project structure,
   but that was confusing when I didn't know this structure.

When I got used to the typical structure, of course it was a lot
easier.

>>> I very much appreciate energy, enthusiasm  and more or less soft
>>> pushes, but don't let us forget quality.
>>

>> Of course, but IMHO quality is (apart from content facts) hard to
>> define. Let's do usability tests, as soon as possible. If tabs
>> fail, it will be fine with me to remove them. If big menus score,
>> let's use big menus.
>

> Having this site live ASAP was a very good move. Making it better as you
> like fast is another good move.
>
> Just a couple of notes:
>
> 1 - Apache projects are used to having the Apache project logo on the
> left and the sub-project one in the center or on the right.
> Lenya is officially Apache Cocoon Lenya, as the project is Cocoon. So it
> would need the Apache logo with "Cocoon" in it on the left (look at the
> xml and incubator and Jakarta pages for samples), and the Lenya one on
> the other side.

I will change this.

Thanks for your comments!

Andreas

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.
Sander Striker wrote:
> [...]

understood. I think it would be good to have three of our committers
(for redundancy and load sharing):

Andreas Hartmann (andreas@apache.org)
Gregor Rothfuss (gregor@apache.org)
Michael Wechner (michi@apache.org)

Thanks

Michael

RE: www.wyona.org down

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@wyona.com>.

> i hereby request said access for the lenya committers :)

Creating accounts on daedalus for all committers is generally not needed.
Who is going to do the work and actually needs the account?
<<

we are going to run an instance of our cms locally, and export new content
to daedalus via ssh. any project member should be able to update the site,
although
that can be handled with a single ssh key in the background.

i will discuss and let you know with the form below.

thanks,

-gregor

Sander

--

 To: root@apache.org
 Cc: pmc@<project>.apache.org, newusers@email.address
 Subject: Machine account request <machine>

 To: root@apache.org
 Cc: pmc@<project>.apache.org, newusers@email.address

RE: www.wyona.org down

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Andreas Hartmann wrote, On 07/05/2003 10.24:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>> I don't think it was a very good idea to turn the new website live,
>> because

Lenya is now starting here at Apache. The first it goes livem the faster
feedback you get. It's not a problem.

>> 3) IMHO the navigation is very confusing: epanded at certain places,
>> confusing grouping, tabs and blocks are redundant
>
> We decided to go Forrest. This is the default way Forrest is set up.

Forrest-based navigation is not optimal to say the least. Given your
experience and expertise, as a Forrest developer I'd be happy to apply
patches WRT these issues, take part in discussions, etc.

>> 4) IMHO authors don't need to be viewed

Some say that having author names is bad for OS because it ties the
piece to a person, while others say it's good because people are happy
to contribute is they see the name.

I'd go for using a generic "Lenya Developers" in the main and generic
pages, and using instead real author names in the more specific pieces.

>> 5) The layout is not finished yet
>
>  >

>> I think the website should reflect the quality of the project and it's
>> community.

And from the Apache POV it's just starting ;-)

>> I believe the Lenya community and project is great, but turning the
>> website live
>> without finishing discussions and within it's current state is sending
>> a very bad image
>> to the outside world.
>

> You don't seem to be pleased with the website at all ...
> I must say I really like it.
>
>> Sorry, for being such a brick, but I think as an Apache project we
>> need to get used to live
>> to high standards, even if it might take a bit longer to reach them.
>
> It is very hard to say what a "high standard" is when talking about
> websites, and when a site meets those standards. Usability tests could
> help.
>
> I personally feel that like most of the Apache websites have drawbacks,
> and wouldn't try to copy their site structure unless I'm forced to.

No comment ;-)

>> I very much appreciate energy, enthusiasm  and more or less soft
>> pushes, but don't let us forget quality.
>
> Of course, but IMHO quality is (apart from content facts) hard to
> define. Let's do usability tests, as soon as possible. If tabs
> fail, it will be fine with me to remove them. If big menus score,
> let's use big menus.

Having this site live ASAP was a very good move. Making it better as you
like fast is another good move.

Just a couple of notes:

1 - Apache projects are used to having the Apache project logo on the
left and the sub-project one in the center or on the right.
Lenya is officially Apache Cocoon Lenya, as the project is Cocoon. So it
would need the Apache logo with "Cocoon" in it on the left (look at the
xml and incubator and Jakarta pages for samples), and the Lenya one on
the other side.

2 - please do not use wyona.org to show Apache pages. Apache pages must
come from *.apache.org domain-hosted sites. Just change wyona.org to
redirect to the Apache lenya site.

Thanks :-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>> 1) No such file exception for www.wyona.org , although it seems to
>> work now (at this very moment)
>>     (although I hate redirects, but that's another topic)
>

> Redirects have drawbacks, of course. I'm about to look at the
> Forrest sitemap how "" is handled.

Forrest does a redirect from "" to "index.html".

Andreas

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@wyona.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>
>> www.wyona.org/index.html <http://www.wyona.org/index.html> works
>>
>> we havent implemented the / -> index.html matcher yet
>>
>> the layout is still subject to minor changes, but we are basically
>> ready to go live at cocoon.apache.org/lenya

OK, let's take this as the starting point for a discussion about
the website.

> I don't think it was a very good idea to turn the new website live, because
>
> 1) No such file exception for www.wyona.org , although it seems to work
> now (at this very moment)
>     (although I hate redirects, but that's another topic)

Redirects have drawbacks, of course. I'm about to look at the
Forrest sitemap how "" is handled.

> 2) The content is older than on the old site, e.g. mailing lists (I know
> the old website sucked, but why not do a better
> job this time)

This has to be corrected. I'll start with this after (1).

> 3) IMHO the navigation is very confusing: epanded at certain places,
> confusing grouping, tabs and blocks are redundant

We decided to go Forrest. This is the default way Forrest is set up.

- We don't have to use tabs. I can remove them from the skin.
   But I'm against doing that.

- The expanding is done by Forrest. We could change this, but it will
   be difficult.

- If we use book.xml files instead of site.xml, we would have more
   influence on how the site is structured. What about this?

About the site structure: IMHO, it is very clear at the moment
(better than the typical apache.org site). What would you change?

The only drawback is the index.html page that contains the whole
menu. I didn't yet find a way how to avoid that. In my eyes, it
should start on the "Project Info" tab, because the other pages
are not as relevant when you enter the homepage.

Re: www.wyona.org down

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: www.wyona.org down

  Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet