Posted to ftpserver-users@mina.apache.org by Ian Goodacre <Ia...@xenacom.com> on 2012/01/18 22:04:38 UTC

ftpdw

Hi all,

I have installed apache-ftpserver-1.0.6 on Windows 7. I can get it running but I would like to know more about the ftpdw.exe command...

The installation instructions describe how to set up multiple instances using the service.bat command, by specifying a service identifier as the second parameter to the "service install" command, such as "service install ftpd2". This works fine.

Now I would like to run ftpdw to manage the ftpd2 service instance, but all my attempts fail. If I run it without any arguments it tells me "The specified service does not exist as an installed service. Unable to open the service 'ftpd'" (note: I didn't install a service with the default name). If I try giving the service name as an argument (e.g. "ftpdw ftpd2") then it gives me the exact same error message.

It appears that the source for ftpdw.exe is not included with the ftpserver source. Can anyone tell me where to find the source for this executable?

Can anyone tell me how to specify the alternate service name to ftpdw?

Thanks,
Ian Goodacre

RE: ftpdw

Posted by Ian Goodacre <Ia...@xenacom.com>.
Hi all,

To answer my own question (it's amazing what one can find, if one keeps looking...):

The ftpdw.exe program is an instance of the Apache Software Foundation Procrun program.

Documentation of the arguments is available at http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html

I haven't tried all the arguments, but all that I have tried have worked as documented.

In particular, to configure a service instance named ftpd2, run the following:

Ftpdw //ES//ftpd2

How do I know this, you ask??

I don't. I'm guessing.

Google turned up nothing but nonsense and examples of running ftpdw without arguments in the first few 10s of pages. Searching the Apache site for ftpdw provided nothing more useful.

So, I ran ftpdw while sysinternals process monitor was running, edited some settings on a default service instance and noted that the settings were being written to the registry in a key with "Apache Software Foundation\Procrun 2.0\ftpd in the path. So I googled "apache procrun" and the link above was the first hit.

I can't tell you how many hours I have spent looking for this info over the past year, but it is more than a few. Too bad procrun wasn't mentioned anywhere in the apache ftpserver documentation or FAQ or source code.

Anyway, thanks for listening and good luck. I like the server, BTW - it works very well for us.

Regards,
Ian Goodacre