Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu> on 2012/10/23 16:38:26 UTC

Balancing load on virtual hosts?

Hi List.

We designed our deployment with the idea that we could use the VM limit
setting in the Virtual Hosts configuration page.  Since that setting
doesn't actually do anything, now I wonder, what are other sites doing
in order to manage load on your virtual hosts?

Related to that, any tips on doing load testing to see what our
environment can handle given our expected work load, hardware setup and
so forth?  When we thought we could adjust things on the fly with a
slider, I was less concerned about knowing in advance what a single host
can take.  Now I realize we'll need to be very careful in advance when
it comes to assigning virtual computers to hosts, so any tips on
planning and testing that would be welcome.

Thanks.

-mrj

--
Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu
University of Chicago IT Services

Re: Balancing load on virtual hosts?

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
We are deploying Windows 7 under our campus license, using a KMS server to activate running instances of Windows.

Aaron

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
Hi Aaron.

Posted by Aaron Coburn <ac...@amherst.edu>.
Michael,

acoburn@amherst.edu<ma...@amherst.edu>

Michael Jinks :: mjinks@uchicago.edu<ma...@uchicago.edu>

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.
On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 01:48:42PM -0500, Michael Jinks wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 02:09:57PM -0400, Josh Thompson wrote:
> >
> > So, you were thinking you'd be able to assign all of your VMs to all of your
> > VM hosts, and VCL would control on which host a VM would be deployed?
>
> No; I was thinking we could assign say, X computer definitions to a VM
> host, and set a limit Y, where Y <= X, and vary Y according to
> performance needs, perceived responsiveness of VM's, changes in per-VM
> resource allocations, or whatever.

...so that, regardless of how many VM definitions are associated with a
given host, only Y instances will run at a given time.  Changing that
limit value looked a lot easier than removing and adding VM definitions.

Posted by Michael Jinks <mj...@uchicago.edu>.

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.
On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:14:43 AM Michael Jinks wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:51:51AM -0400, Josh Thompson wrote:
> > Michael,
> >
> > Can you explain the behavior you were expecting a little better?  From
> > what
> > you've said, I thought you wanted the ability to easily change how many
> > VMs
> > VCL will spin up on a given host.  Rather than using the VM Limit field,
> > you can assign/unassign VMs to/from a host to change how many are on it.
> > So, given that, I'm guessing there was something more you were looking
> > for.
> That's the obvious alternative, yeah...
>
> I'll leave out the "why" for now, but what I had hoped was that we could
> define all our VM's, assign them across our vhosts, and then use the
> limit as a sort of flexible governor to raise and lower the number of
> vm's that can actually boot at any given time, independent of what'd
> defined or assigned.

So, you were thinking you'd be able to assign all of your VMs to all of your
VM hosts, and VCL would control on which host a VM would be deployed?

Josh
--
-------------------------------
Josh Thompson