Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Sam Ewing <ja...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/28 06:49:20 UTC

Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

I was not able to locate any information on the
differences between mod_webapp and mod_jk for Tomcat
4.0.. could anyone point me in the right direction?
What about the respective protocols? APJ v/s WARP?

Also, where could I find instructions on configuring
apache to use mod_webapp?

Any reply would be appreciated! Thanks,

Sam

Re: Mod_jk v/s mod_webapp

Posted by Neil Streeter <st...@elmo.nmc.edu>.
Both provide the same type of functionality... mod_jk has some additional
features that you can't get w/ mod_webapp -- namely load balencing... but
there are others... if you ever think you may need that... also, one other
annoying think I found w/ mod_webapp - was that you had to seperate your
jsp/servlets into their own directory. You can't (at least I couldn't) get
mod_webapp/apache to server static files and jsp from the same location...
this was the turning point for me - and I now use mod_jk on all my linux -
tomcat deployments -- but have been unable to find an up-to-date mod_jk for
NT/2000 -- nor have I been able to compile it w/out ms visual studio... I
don't understand why the authors don't provide directions for other FREE
compilers... though the documentation is scarce to begin with.... and I'm
sure it will improve with time.

(I would recommend mod_jk) it's easy to configure, more flexible, and seems
to perform well...

Hope this helps...
ns