Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by "Trenton D. Adams" <tr...@athabascau.ca> on 2010/01/26 07:11:51 UTC

Nested SQL exceptions and remote methods

Hi Guys,

I am using iBatis 2.3.4.726.  And I wanted to throw this out there, as I know v3 is still in beta.  However, I'm not sure if this would cause too major of a change at this point.

I was thinking, it may be nice if iBatis did not have it's own "nested" SQL exception, as it causes problems with remote facilities such as RMI, and EJB.  If, for example, you catch the exception, and propagate it to the client side, the client cannot find the class, as it is only available on the remote server side.  And, there would be no reason that the client should need to depend on iBatis.

So, it would be ideal, if only the SQLException was thrown, as it is resolvable on every JVM.

As it is currently, I am unable to nest the SQLException I get from iBatis, in my own exception that gets propagated to the client side, due to this problem.

Also, it's very convenient for the entire stack trace to be shown on the client side, which is part of the reason why I'm mentioning this at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Trenton D. Adams
Systems Analyst/Web Software Developer