Posted to user@drill.apache.org by Matt <bs...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/08 18:41:56 UTC

Drill Cluster without HDFS/MapR-FS?

I have seen some posts in the past about Drill nodes mounted "close to
the data", and am wondering if its possible to use Drill as a cluster
without HDFS?

Using ZK would not be an issue in itself, and there are apparently
options like https://github.com/mhausenblas/dromedar

Any experiences with this?

Re: Drill Cluster without HDFS/MapR-FS?

Posted by ankit beohar <an...@gmail.com>.
Hey Matt,

Yes we can use Drill in distribute mode or install on a cluster we did that
but for dev purpose in prod environment we had hadoop still you can do that
and steps are pretty much available in
https://drill.apache.org/docs/installing-drill-on-the-cluster/

Best Regards,
ANKIT BEOHAR

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Using Drill against any kind of distributed data store is a fine thing. If
data locality matters, then it is nice if Drill can see what data is where.
Regardless, using Drill with out HDFS works great.

I should point out that using Drill with MapR is technically using it
without HDFS, but since MapR FS implements the HDFS API, the distinction is
kind of technical.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I have no such experience.

The performance loss could vary from minor to profound depending on your
query, network and disk setup.

Posted by Rahul Raj <ra...@option3consulting.com>.

Posted by Abhishek Girish <ag...@apache.org>.