Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com> on 2008/01/10 19:14:53 UTC

[IO] IO 1.4 on Java 1.3 , IO 1.5 on Java 1.4

Hello:

I would like to propose simplifying the code and current release by:

- Keeping IO 1.4 on Java 1.3 only. This means removing the Java 1.4 conditional code execution.

- Setting the requirement for IO 1.5 on Java 1.4, allowing NIO implementations at will.

Thoughts? Is this something we should [vote] on?

Thanks,
Gary

Re: [IO] IO 1.4 on Java 1.3 , IO 1.5 on Java 1.4

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Jan 10, 2008 6:14 PM, Gary Gregory <GG...@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I would like to propose simplifying the code and current release by:
>
> - Keeping IO 1.4 on Java 1.3 only. This means removing the Java 1.4 conditional code execution.

There isn't any conditional code execution - just four classes that
use Java 1.4 features - the rest is 1.3 compatible. We did discuss
this a couple of times - the latest here:

  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-127

I'm -1 to your propoal at this stage and for keeping what we have
which IMO is ready to release as it is now - just need to update the
docs and cut an RC. I was hoping/planning to do that in the next day
or so.

Niall