Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com> on 2004/07/01 00:48:46 UTC

RE: Artifacts & Versioning Spec. Was: RFE for the war plugin

Thanks for the concrete example (use-case). Now I understand better at least
as a list lurker.
I had originally thought you and Michal were debating which way `round to
get metadata to the web container, now I see.

So if me were you: I'd login to Jira:
  create an rfe request
  attach the patch(es* - w/ documentation as well)
  vote for the enhancement
  send the jira issue url to the list with some message like: "...here's the
link to the rfe. If you want the option to jar the classes in a war... vote
for this issue. I use this so that....logging [etc].."

Users could then "vote" for it...
committers can get a sense of who's looking for this feature.
IMO no feature is without some cost. The new property will likely need to be
documented if it's not already with your patch. Inevitably there will be
mailing list questions about it (hopefully you'd monitor to answer them.)
Any unforeseen issues or downstream affects have to be dealt with - code
maintenance.
Then in the bigger picture someone else will say why are there so many
properties all over,
why is maven hard to learn, why isn't there more documentation, why are
property names not consistent,
why does the war plugin generate more than one artifact.
Not lazy..intelligent.

-TR

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Tim, you forgot the updating of the plugin tests :-)