Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2021/01/14 19:10:17 UTC

releasing maven-artifact-plugin

I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1

I did a first documentation:
https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/

review, feedback, PRs welcome

Regards,

Hervé

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
platform dependent newline is a feature, to respect user platform

I see your preference and agree to disagree: it's definitely a no for me on
this

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I see this objection more and more lately.
I don't really understand it, I consider it vaguely theoretical, and don't see
any concrete issue.

but I see a concrete issue on using OutputStreamWriter API instead of
PrintWriter: I don't have "println(...)"

perhaps something should be reported to the OpenJDK team

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
The use of PrintWriter in BuildInfoWriter is error prone because it
swallows exceptions. This should be replaced with an
OutputStreamWriter.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
thank you Matthieu

on splitting buildinfo generation and check, everybody starts with this logic when thinking, even me. Then during implementation, I discovered that in reality we don't check against a downloaded reference buildinfo file, but we check against a reference buildinfo that we build from downloaded reference binaries that we list by looking at what was built.
I could work to extract the last call [1] to a separate mojo, with an abstract mojo to share code, particulary the "artifacts" map calculated on line 175  "Map<Artifact, String> artifacts = generateBuildinfo( mono );"
But this would complexify both mojo code and user's work to call it (same number of -D properties, but this time 2 goals to add to command line).

And seriously, I don't see any use case where checking will be done without calculating buildinfo in the same run.

To me, splitting goals is a false good idea that we all have from our past experience on other cases: real usage of this goal makes one single goal much more efficient.

Of course, if you can show a good use case, we can do the extra effort (and explain users why their current single goal usage is better with 2 goals typing).
And of course, please provide a goal name that will make this CLI usage accessible: I want to keep user experience as good as possible, Reproducible Builds is hard enough per-se.

On goal documentation, please propose enhancements as much as possible: I already put so much time in documenting as clearly as possible, finding shortest descriptions as possible to be easy to read. Finding a good simple description is not so easy, I need help, please

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://github.com/apache/maven-artifact-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/apache/maven/plugins/artifact/buildinfo/BuildinfoMojo.java#L206

[2] https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/buildinfo-mojo.html#referenceRepo

Posted by Matthieu Brouillard <ma...@brouillard.fr>.
Hi Hervé,

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
I don't remember the discussion.

What do you think about JSR-330 in plugin code?

sob., 16 sty 2021 o 09:37 Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> napisał(a):

> my strategy in this plugin was to use maven-shared-utils, of course when
> no
> API exists in JDK
> If I did it wrong in some cases, don't hesitate to provide a PR
> And if there is a newer version of JDK that provides APIs to replace maven-
> shared-utils, we should document it in maven-shared-utils, and that would
> finally give us some little reason to upgrade JDK prerequisite (when most
> of
> maven-shared-utils APIs can be replaced)
>
> I remember many discussions on this, I don't remember precisely if there
> was a
> consensus, I admit I just got the option that I personally  found the most
> adapted to a Maven plugin
>
> Le vendredi 15 janvier 2021, 12:57:01 CET Elliotte Rusty Harold a écrit :
> > Where possible I'd try to replace plexus utils such as StringUtils and
> > FileUtils with better maintained JDK or Apache commons alternatives.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
> wrote:
> > > I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
> > >
> > > I did a first documentation:
> > >
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
> > >
> > > review, feedback, PRs welcome
> > >

> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Hervé

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
Where possible I'd try to replace plexus utils such as StringUtils and
FileUtils with better maintained JDK or Apache commons alternatives.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
We've already discussed this.
The name is intended to be generic and can be seen as a "brother" of the maven-dependency-plugin.
Where the dependency plugin handles the (dependency) graph, the artifact plugin is about the (artifact) file.
I expect more goals to be added.

thanks,
Robert
On 15-1-2021 12:40:09, Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org> wrote:
The name of this plugin, Maven Artifact Plugin, seems very generic. It
really gives no indication of its purpose. Perhaps consider a rename
at this early stage to maven-buildinfo-plugin or
maven-reproduce-plugin.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
The name of this plugin, Maven Artifact Plugin, seems very generic. It
really gives no indication of its purpose. Perhaps consider a rename
at this early stage to maven-buildinfo-plugin or
maven-reproduce-plugin.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
PR welcome: yes, that would be nice

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
There are some good integration tests. Unit tests would help round this out.

Most classes and method appear public by default. It's not obvious
they need to be. I think almost all of them could be private or
package private instead. They can always be made public later if a
need is uncovered, but it's much harder to make them private after the
plugin has shipped.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,
>
> Hervé

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
PR welcome for deprecation removal

on JDK 8, I'm -1 because I know that it's a one char update in a pom file, but
I don't see any benefit, I only see drawback: it can be used in less cases.
And concretely, on Reproducible Central [1], if I upgrade JDK prerequisite to
JDK 8, I have 16 releases that I can't check any more (search for "j7" and
you'll see the updated value)

Then thank you, I'll remain with JDK 7 target bytecode

Regards,

Hervé

[1] https://github.com/jvm-repo-rebuild/reproducible-central

Posted by Slawomir Jaranowski <s....@gmail.com>.
Hi,

napisał(a):

> I noticed this code in ReferenceBuildInfo:
>
>         Artifact buildinfo =
>                         artifactFactory.createArtifactWithClassifier(
> project.getGroupId(), project.getArtifactId(),
>
> project.getVersion(), "buildinfo", "" );
>

> The problem is that ArtifactFactory is deprecated and has been for a
> while. However it doesn't have any information about what is supposed
> to be used instead.
>
> Since this is greenfield code, could this be replaced by the
> non-deprecated alternative? Or, if there is, no non-deprecated
> alternative, then can we consider undeprecating ArtifactFactory? It's
> woven pretty deeply into most of our plugins and APIs.
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
> wrote:
> >
> > I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
> >
> > I did a first documentation:
> > https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
> >
> > review, feedback, PRs welcome
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Hervé

> Elliotte Rusty Harold
> elharo@ibiblio.org

Sławomir Jaranowski

Re: releasing maven-artifact-plugin

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
I noticed this code in ReferenceBuildInfo:

        Artifact buildinfo =
                        artifactFactory.createArtifactWithClassifier(
project.getGroupId(), project.getArtifactId(),

project.getVersion(), "buildinfo", "" );

The problem is that ArtifactFactory is deprecated and has been for a
while. However it doesn't have any information about what is supposed
to be used instead.

Since this is greenfield code, could this be replaced by the
non-deprecated alternative? Or, if there is, no non-deprecated
alternative, then can we consider undeprecating ArtifactFactory? It's
woven pretty deeply into most of our plugins and APIs.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 7:10 PM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I want to release Maven Artifact Plugin soon, version 0.1
>
> I did a first documentation:
> https://maven.apache.org/plugins-archives/maven-artifact-plugin-LATEST/
>
> review, feedback, PRs welcome
>

> Regards,