Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> on 2002/07/16 20:56:40 UTC

Missed vote

Arg. I missed the vote where the Servlet API and JSP classes were going to
be stored in the same repo. Is there any way that I can -1 that after the
fact?

Several of us have worked hard over the years to completely separate the
Servlet API from the JSP API for various valid reasons (including the fact
that some of us don't like JSP).

This fight came to an end when Sun decided to create separation of the two
API's by having separate JSR's. Now, it seems that we are moving backwards
again by having the two API's stored in the same repo and now that I found
out that that has happened, I would love to try to stop it from going any
further.

What can we do here?

-jon

Re: Missed vote

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> wrote:

> As Pier said, 2 API's, 2 JSR's, 2 CVS repo's.

And two jars! :) Glad someone agrees! :)

    Pier

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with

RE: Missed vote

Posted by Paulo Gaspar <pa...@krankikom.de>.
For what is worth, I think Jon is 100% right on this one.

And he was cristal clear about the reasons too.

Regards,
Paulo

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Missed vote

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: Missed vote

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Craig R. McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:56:40 -0700
>> From: Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>
>> To: tomcat-dev <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
>> Subject: Missed vote
>>
>> Arg. I missed the vote where the Servlet API and JSP classes were going to
>> be stored in the same repo. Is there any way that I can -1 that after the
>> fact?
>>
>> Several of us have worked hard over the years to completely separate the
>> Servlet API from the JSP API for various valid reasons (including the fact
>> that some of us don't like JSP).
>>
>> This fight came to an end when Sun decided to create separation of the two
>> API's by having separate JSR's. Now, it seems that we are moving backwards
>> again by having the two API's stored in the same repo and now that I found
>> out that that has happened, I would love to try to stop it from going any
>> further.
>>
>> What can we do here?
>
> What's so painful about a ten-line build.xml target that creates a
> separate JAR file with just the javax.servlet and javax.servlet.http API
> classes, if that's what you need?
>
> Sharing a CVS repository has little or nothing to do with how many
> distributable outputs you create.  On the other hand, having both servlet
> and JSP APIs in a single JAR file is quite useful to a very large number
> of existing Tomcat (and other container) users, so it should be available
> also.

Logically it's more confusing to see servlet.jar to have both. Especially
now that they are _two_ separate JSRs. Two APIs, IMO, two JARs, but as I
replied earlier, it's not my problem anymore.

    Pier

Re: Missed vote

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 11:56:40 -0700
> From: Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>
> To: tomcat-dev <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Missed vote
>
> Arg. I missed the vote where the Servlet API and JSP classes were going to
> be stored in the same repo. Is there any way that I can -1 that after the
> fact?
>
> Several of us have worked hard over the years to completely separate the
> Servlet API from the JSP API for various valid reasons (including the fact
> that some of us don't like JSP).
>
> This fight came to an end when Sun decided to create separation of the two
> API's by having separate JSR's. Now, it seems that we are moving backwards
> again by having the two API's stored in the same repo and now that I found
> out that that has happened, I would love to try to stop it from going any
> further.
>
> What can we do here?

What's so painful about a ten-line build.xml target that creates a
separate JAR file with just the javax.servlet and javax.servlet.http API
classes, if that's what you need?

Sharing a CVS repository has little or nothing to do with how many
distributable outputs you create.  On the other hand, having both servlet
and JSP APIs in a single JAR file is quite useful to a very large number
of existing Tomcat (and other container) users, so it should be available
also.

> -jon

Craig