Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/29 03:13:01 UTC

warnings sent to /dev/null during build?

I'm building with libtool2 on Ubuntu maverick, with
--enable-maintainer-mode, but even though we're setup for lots of gcc
warnings they're getting sent to /dev/null!

I'm pretty sure I had seen (non-fatal) warnings in the past -- is this normal?

make[4]: Entering directory `/home/covener/SRC/httpd-trunk/modules/ldap'
/home/covener/SRC/httpd-trunk/srclib/apr/libtool  --mode=compile ...
-c util_ldap.c && touch util_ldap.slo
libtool: compile:  gcc -std=gnu99 -g -Wall ... -c util_ldap.c  -fPIC
-DPIC -o .libs/util_ldap.o
libtool: compile:  gcc -std=gnu99 -g -Wall ... -c util_ldap.c  -fPIC
-DPIC -o util_ldap.o >/dev/null 2>&1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(non-snipped: http://people.apache.org/~covener/warnings_dev_null.txt)

Re: warnings sent to /dev/null during build?

Posted by "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On 3/28/2011 8:13 PM, Eric Covener wrote:
> I'm building with libtool2 on Ubuntu maverick, with
> --enable-maintainer-mode, but even though we're setup for lots of gcc
> warnings they're getting sent to /dev/null!
>
> I'm pretty sure I had seen (non-fatal) warnings in the past -- is this normal?
>
> make[4]: Entering directory `/home/covener/SRC/httpd-trunk/modules/ldap'
> /home/covener/SRC/httpd-trunk/srclib/apr/libtool  --mode=compile ...
> -c util_ldap.c && touch util_ldap.slo
> libtool: compile:  gcc -std=gnu99 -g -Wall ... -c util_ldap.c  -fPIC
> -DPIC -o .libs/util_ldap.o
> libtool: compile:  gcc -std=gnu99 -g -Wall ... -c util_ldap.c  -fPIC
> -DPIC -o util_ldap.o >/dev/null 2>&1
>

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you tweak apr to drop the --silent option, what happens?

Re: warnings sent to /dev/null during build?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
just my confusion adding -Wconversion to make invocation incorrectly,
but will look at getting -Wconversion in maintainer mode when
available.

Re: warnings sent to /dev/null during build?

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM, Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm building with libtool2 on Ubuntu maverick, with
> --enable-maintainer-mode, but even though we're setup for lots of gcc
> warnings they're getting sent to /dev/null!

I was confused about the repetition I pasted.

FAQ says:

Notice that the second run of GCC has its output discarded. This is
done so that compiler warnings aren't annoyingly duplicated. If you
need to see both sets of warnings (you might have conditional code
inside ‘#ifdef PIC’ for example), you can turn off suppression with
the -no-suppress option to libtool's compile mode:

Which I am guessing is somehow conflicting with our building of shared
modules (first one is a no-op?)