Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2010/01/16 04:13:47 UTC

Voting in committers

[This is a strange email for me to write as it seems like I'm
overstepping my mark as a mentor - but this is getting in the way and
has been discussed before]

A while ago the committers discussed whether or not they felt it was
appropriate to vote me in as a committer. The general consensus appeared
to be yes. However, there has not been a vote.

A committer needs to call a vote before I can become a committer and get
on with work without filling up the patch queue.

The reasons for this are many, but the key ones are:

a) ensure there is an opportunity for all who may wish to object to do
so (which for a podling includes the Incubator PMC)

b) ensure there is a proper record of community consensus

c) demonstrate to the community that this project follows the
meritocratic processes found here in the ASF - that is, regardless of a
persons standing in any other role (i.e. ASF Member and project champion
in this case) they must still earn sufficient merit in this project
before being granted the privilege of commit rights.

In the ASF we try not to call votes unnecessarily, but a few things do
need formal votes as they can have a significant affect on the projects
future and thus all members of the community (not just committers)
should have an opportunity to state their opinion.

The full process for voting a committer is described under "Voting in a
new committer" in http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

Ross

Re: Voting in committers

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Scott Wilson
<sc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This was definitely on my to-do list before the christmas break - my main
> question being "how do I call the vote?".
>
> So do I have to start the voting process with a message to wookie-private?

Yes, basically send a simple e-mail to wookie-private and have the
subject more like :

[VOTE] Make <contributor name> a Wookie Committer

As I assume there has been a previous discussion about inviting the
contributor as a project committer, you could just mentioned that, or
copy portions of the initial discussion to the vote thread... just to
have something that highlight the contributor contributions as we will
need to have a similar vote in the IPMC.

Hope this helps, but let me know if you have other questions...

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Voting in committers