Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/04/20 19:18:36 UTC

[site] Automation and external dependencies.

Apparently, there are two projects in the sandbox which currently are on
the menu of navigable sites that depend on external jars from sun

jakarta-commons-sandbox/chain
jakarta-commons-sandbox/email

I went to regenerate these sites and failed due to the dependencies.
There are some questions that should be addressed:

1.) External dependencies are a bear when it comes to Maven and
Automation. Each dependency has to be met by manually downloading and
installing the jar somewhere that maven can get it.

2.) Isn't it best to keep our projects external dependencies to a
minimum. Is there a way we can have possibly the default build setup
such that it doesn't require them? For instance, move the dependnent
code into a spearate src directory that is ounly built when the
dependency is met or a property is set?

This would allow automated generation of the site withou the requirement
of downloading and installing those dependencies.

-Mark

Re: [site] Automation and external dependencies.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
p.s. I did download the dependencies and manually regenerate these sites.