Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <go...@indiana.edu> on 2017/03/28 00:51:48 UTC

[GSoC] Proposal Topics

Hello dev,

I am interested in participating for GSoC this season. There are a couple of topics in my mind which could be good proposals.

1.       Distributed Task Execution (Workload Management) for Apache Airavata

·         Apoorv has already shown interest in this, and has a fair idea of the problem.

·         I have been working on building a prototype to solve this problem, as part of Science Gateways course [see: https://goo.gl/CZcIIn]

·         There are other possible approach(s), like using Akka, Cassandra, Kafka [see: https://youtu.be/s3GfXTnzG_Y]

2.       Workflow Editor/Builder for Apache Airavata

·         Ajinkya had started on this topic, and I can use his inputs.

·         The idea is to allow modelling multiple Airavata job submissions into a workflow, using tools such as CWL (Common Workflow Language).

·         In addition, to integrate a workflow editor UI with the processing logic, and manage dependencies (whether 2 jobs can be run in parallel v/s waiting for one to complete since it depends on output of another).

I would love to hear from you all on any suggestions, inclusions to make.

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

Re: [GSoC] Proposal Topics

Posted by "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <go...@indiana.edu>.
Yes,

I think these technologies will be very helpful to implement Distributed Task Execution framework, and it will be fun to play around with too. I highly recommend you watch the YouTube video I shared in my previous email (see below) to get a head-start on how a similar task execution framework design was constructed using these 3 technologies (they have shared a lot more in-depth detail, which might seem out-of-the-place at start).

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

From: Apoorv Palkar <ap...@aol.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 8:47 AM
To: "dev@airavata.apache.org" <de...@airavata.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Proposal Topics

I haven't used Kafka or Cassandra. I would be interested in developing a solution using these technologies to avoid redundancies.

•         I have been working on building a prototype to solve this problem, as part of Science Gateways course [see: https://goo.gl/CZcIIn<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__goo.gl_CZcIIn&d=DwMGaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=5igYYic94E4a_fcZkq1JiHDu3vinqn86vMjTi_lEKHs&m=j1KQyNfEyfh6g4uMiNPcAmyvazus9F9AtCHOe1ZGpUE&s=3EiIQ5VK2alrQHOhMRiItGSs3uPDQbddiG8IW_oLHHk&e=>]
•         There are other possible approach(s), like using Akka, Cassandra, Kafka [see: https://youtu.be/s3GfXTnzG_Y<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__youtu.be_s3GfXTnzG-5FY&d=DwMGaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=5igYYic94E4a_fcZkq1JiHDu3vinqn86vMjTi_lEKHs&m=j1KQyNfEyfh6g4uMiNPcAmyvazus9F9AtCHOe1ZGpUE&s=oGvRrlDHO-jQepIAvhMnNl9JwfNsdEtZzXhKYnji3w8&e=>]

Re: [GSoC] Proposal Topics

Posted by Apoorv Palkar <ap...@aol.com>.