Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/07 07:52:52 UTC

RAID10 for kafka cluster

is RAID 10 (mirrored and striped) essential for kafka cluster with three
nodes in DEV as I have been told that disk failures can shutdown the whole
kafka clusters? this is a non-prod environment

thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

such loss, damage or destruction.

Re: RAID10 for kafka cluster

Posted by Gerrit Jansen van Vuuren <ge...@gmail.com>.
in my opinion for production I would run with raid10, its true that kafka
has durability as to shutdown of brokers, there are exceptions or hiccups,
if you want to avoid tons of movement between brokers and connection errors
on the clients (which may or not depending on how loaded your cluster is
cause issues) due to disk failures, raid10 is the way to go, you'll have a
much more stable cluster all round.

For development it depends, I run a vagrant instance locally on my laptop
for development :/