Posted to websh-dev@tcl.apache.org by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com> on 2002/04/10 15:49:33 UTC

web site

This is necessary for every page, but I've got most of the web site up
and running on my computer.

source [file join [file dirname [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]] websh.com.gen]

I've got things mostly squared away for www.apache.org, we now have a
role account there, which I will set you up with shortly.

--
David N. Welton
   Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: web::config for mod_websh paths

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> I have .ws3 files, set up, of course, with mod_websh.  What I would
> like to do is to automate the loading of websh.com.gen for everything
> in a certain directory.  I don't want that file loaded for every .ws3
> file I request, though, because it might interfere with other things I
> am testing.

Your .ws3 file are either code or templates. (meaning the .ws3 file
needs be eval'd or web::putxfile'd). The setup is a little different
in both cases. The easier case is code files:

  wep::interpmap {file} {

     # what needs to be passed to websh.com.gen
     if {[match_websh.com.gen $file]} {
        return /path/to/websh.com.gen
     }
     # default (all other files use their own class)
     return $file
  }

Note: for this to work, match_websh.com.gen is a proc that finds out
whether it is a request that must include websh.com.gen using some
pattern match or regex or similar and the websh.com.gen script must do
the following (at the end of the code)

  # all stuff in websh.com.gen
  # ...

  web::include [web::config script]
  # EOF

The setup for template files would be

  wep::interpmap {file} {

     # what needs to be passed to websh.com.gen
     if {[match_websh.com.gen $file]} {
        return /path/to/websh.com.gen
     }
     # default (all other files use their own class)
     return /path/to/defaulthandler
  }

where match_websh.com.gen is the same as above, but the websh.com.gen
script must look something like

  # all stuff in websh.com.gen
  # ...

  web::putxfile [web::config script]
  # EOF

and the defaulthandler script looks something like

  # this is the default handler
  web::putxfile [web::config script]
  # EOF

You can actually mix the approach for each interpreter class you
define, but this could be confusing. A better solution would be to add
a second handler, such as a handler for .whtml (templates) and a
handler for .ws3 (scripts) using the following generic interpmap setup:

  wep::interpmap {file} {

     # scripts
     if {[string match *.ws3 $file]} {
         # they all have their own interp class
         return $file
     }

     # templates (i.e. all *.whtml files)
     return /path/to/defaulthandler
  }

where the defaulthandler is essentialy a [web::putxfile [web::config script]]
command, just as above.

Ronnie

Re: web::config for mod_websh paths

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> in the WebshConfig File, you still have to do this stuff manually:
> In your case, what you need to do is:

> Add a handler for websh (e.g. extension .ws3) and then you can
> (optionally) add a WebshConfig that overwrites web::interpmap.

> In you example: the WebshConfig file should throw an error, sionce
> web::config is unknown. Without that line, it'll generate a Server
> Error 500, since howdydoodee is not a valid interpreter class
> (i.e. no Websh3 file).

> What's the problem with interfereing with other stuff? Could it be
> that the current Websh handler is setup for *.html? Couldn't you add
> the handler in a <Directory> clause? This would route e.g. /websh/*
> files to mod_websh only.

> ... Sorry for not being very constructive here, I don't really know
> what you're trying to do ...

I have .ws3 files, set up, of course, with mod_websh.  What I would
like to do is to automate the loading of websh.com.gen for everything
in a certain directory.  I don't want that file loaded for every .ws3
file I request, though, because it might interfere with other things I
am testing.

Is that clearer?  Sorry that the previous message wasn't.

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> proc web::interpmap {file} {
>     puts stderr [web::config script]
>     return howdydoodee
> }
>
> doesn't seem to have any effect at all...

Well, I know! When I added the web::config stuff, I realized, that
in the main interpreter, we don't have the web::config command anyway
-> this stuff is mainly usefull to configure the actual applications
(since there you don't want to bother with changing absolute paths).

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> Can't be: either we talk about the mainInterp (which is already
> there) or we talk about the new interp (for the pool) in which we
> don't eval any code until all the init stuff is called (otherwise we
> would have a serious chicken & egg problem ;-)

> -> should be straight forward except for the [web::config
> interpclass] which is not available in mainInterp (which also makes
> sense)

Hrm... well, it's not working.  web::config script works, I tested it
out in a page.  Maybe I'm just not getting it...

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> Can't be: either we talk about the mainInterp (which is already
> there) or we talk about the new interp (for the pool) in which we
> don't eval any code until all the init stuff is called (otherwise we
> would have a serious chicken & egg problem ;-)

> -> should be straight forward except for the [web::config
> interpclass] which is not available in mainInterp (which also makes
> sense)

So what is the magic sequence to have a locally hosted tcl site that
doesn't interfere with other stuff?  Everything seems to be working on
www.apache.org, I just need to duplicate it locally in order to clean
it up.

I'm a bit stumped/frustrated...

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> > > Have an accessor in web::config that sets up these vars at
> > > startup time for mod_websh and at request time for CGI (which is
> > > good enough there).

> > Accessing it through web::config isn't that hot, either, because
> > it's not really a global config option.

> Yes, but so are [web::config version] and [web::config copyright] ->
> we don't mess up anything that's not messed up yet anyway.

Ok.

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.

> > Have an accessor in web::config that sets up these vars at startup
> > time for mod_websh and at request time for CGI (which is good enough
> > there).
>
> Accessing it through web::config isn't that hot, either, because it's
> not really a global config option.

Yes, but so are [web::config version] and [web::config copyright] ->
we don't mess up anything that's not messed up yet anyway.

> > -> a common accessor in cfg.c with specific implementations in
> > modwebsh_ap.c and modwebsh_cgi.c respectively should do the trick.
>
> Maybe we could do something sneaky with iPtr->scriptFile in Tcl
> itself?  Too clever, probably...

I would access stuff like

Re: web site

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> I just wanted to tell you this, because I had the exact same
> problem.  My approach would be still the same as it was when we
> started this discussion:

> Have an accessor in web::config that sets up these vars at startup
> time for mod_websh and at request time for CGI (which is good enough
> there).

Accessing it through web::config isn't that hot, either, because it's
not really a global config option.

> -> a common accessor in cfg.c with specific implementations in
> modwebsh_ap.c and modwebsh_cgi.c respectively should do the trick.

> I'll be in school tomorrow and Saturday, so the earliest for me to
> look at it would be Sunday or Monday, but I could do it if you don't
> feel comfortable with it.

I feel comfortable with the code, but I want to make sure we get it
right.

Re: web site

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
I just wanted to tell you this, because I had the exact same problem.
My approach would be still the same as it was when we started this
discussion:

Have an accessor in web::config that sets up these vars at startup
time for mod_websh and at request time for CGI (which is good enough
there).

-> a common accessor in cfg.c with specific implementations in
modwebsh_ap.c and modwebsh_cgi.c respectively should do the trick.

I'll be in scholl tomorrow and Saturday, so the earliest for me to

Re: web site

Re: web site

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.
Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch> writes:

> > We will do this on tcl.apache.org, but the reason I didn't do
> > something similar immediately is this:

> > How to set up a testing environment that does not affect other
> > websh pages being run on my system.  I got bit by this when
> > setting up the tcl.apache.org test site on my computer.

> The clean way to setup a server with different applications / setups
> for templates etc by just using multiple interpreter classes:

>    proc web::interpmap {file} {
>       if {[string match "*/myExamples/*" $file]} {
>           # this is my own code for the examples
> 	  return /path/to/script/for/examples/myScript
>       }
>       if {[string match "/path/to/special/app" $file]} {
>           # an app with its own script code
> 	  return /real/path/to/app/code
>       }
>       # default : the websh.com stuff
>       return [file join [file dirname [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]] websh.com.gen]
>    }

> Doesn't that help?

Yes, that can be made to work.

> > What I ended up doing is having a 'common.tcl' file that is loaded
> > at child init time on the live site, and loaded before each
> > request on my box.

> The "and loaded before each request" seems strange. I understand
> that in a page you explicitly want to test with new code it's easier
> to include the code in the file, because it's loaded (=eval'd) every
> time you request the page. But in all the other pages it shouldn't
> be there (where's all the fun of being faster with preloaded code
> ;-)

Well, it should be there, because it's the 'global' code that is
available to all pages within the site.  Yes, it's 'slow' but since
it's just me using the computer, I don't really notice, and it's
faster than having to restart apache if I add something.

> > I'm not sure what the easiest/cleanest way to do this in Websh is,
> > though.

> Regarding what: testing or production?

On the production box, the mod_websh installation will be dedicated to
serving up the websh/ directory, and hopefully we won't be mucking
around too much with the code, so doing things statically is ok.  The
testing box is the one that I was trying to find the best solution
for.  The interpmap system above should do the trick.

Re: web site

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> We will do this on tcl.apache.org, but the reason I didn't do
> something similar immediately is this:
>
> How to set up a testing environment that does not affect other websh
> pages being run on my system.  I got bit by this when setting up the
> tcl.apache.org test site on my computer.

The clean way to setup a server with different applications / setups
for templates etc by just using multiple interpreter classes:

   proc web::interpmap {file} {
      if {[string match "*/myExamples/*" $file]} {
          # this is my own code for the examples
	  return /path/to/script/for/examples/myScript
      }
      if {[string match "/path/to/special/app" $file]} {
          # an app with its own script code
	  return /real/path/to/app/code
      }
      # default : the websh.com stuff
      return [file join [file dirname [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]] websh.com.gen]
   }

Doesn't that help?

> What I ended up doing is having a 'common.tcl' file that is loaded at
> child init time on the live site, and loaded before each request on my
> box.

The "and loaded before each request" seems strange. I understand that
in a page you explicitly want to test with new code it's easier to
include the code in the file, because it's loaded (=eval'd) every time
you request the page. But in all the other pages it shouldn't be there
(where's all the fun of being faster with preloaded code ;-)

> This way, it is also easier to change code there without having to
> restart things all the time.

Sure, as I said.

Re: web site

Posted by "David N. Welton" <da...@dedasys.com>.

Re: web site

Posted by Ronnie Brunner <ro...@netcetera.ch>.
> This is necessary for every page, but I've got most of the web site up
> and running on my computer.
>
> source [file join [file dirname [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]] websh.com.gen]

I don't see why this should be necessary: setting up mod_websh would
look something like (in the WebshConfig file):

  proc web::interpmap {file} {
     return [file join [file dirname [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]] websh.com.gen]
  }

  web::interpclasscfg [file join [file dirname [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]] websh.com.gen] maxrequests 0

This sets up one single interpreter class for all requests.

In websh.com.gen, all the code is in a web::initializer command,
except for the dispatch, which looks something like

    web::putxfile [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]

or, if the file is not a template, but a script

    source [web::request SCRIPT_FILENAME]

> I've got things mostly squared away for www.apache.org, we now have a
> role account there, which I will set you up with shortly.

Very cool.