Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2016/02/04 01:31:24 UTC

[Math] Create "development" branch?

Hello.

Shall we go forward with the creation of a branch named
"development", and stop committing to "master" (which, by
convention, should only contain tags of released code)?

Shall we also adopt a convention for feature branches, like
names that are prefixed with "f-" or "feature-", to make it
visible that they are WIP to be merged in "development"?
[IOW, as a reminder that those branches should not exist
for a long time, and should be deleted after the merge.]
Perhaps even clearer would be to attach a JIRA report
number to the name, like "feature-MATH-1319", so that we do
not forget to open a corresponding issue.

Regards,
Gilles

Re: [Math] Create "development" branch?

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.
On Wed, 3 Feb 2016 19:57:33 -0800, William Barker wrote:
> I would wait until after the TLP move for any big SCM changes.

I guess that the git repository won't be affected.
Anyways, nothing will be lost if some changes are in order, so
I don't see why work has to be put on hold.

> I'm not clear on what problem is trying to be solved here. Git
> branches are
> cheap, so create as many as you like for experimental changes, but I
> doubt
> the PMC would agree to release from such a branch

It looks like you are not aware of the background of this question:
   http://markmail.org/message/7lnus64entdwj4vo

Gilles

Posted by William Barker <wi...@gmail.com>.