Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/04 22:50:22 UTC

DataNode question

I've seen the tutorial on adding a File Type to netbeans, and how it
creates a multiview panel showing both the source, and whatever GUI you
want.

I'd rather have one that shows only the GUI.

So, I have extended a DataNode as part of the Node Delegate and added an
OpenCookie to open my form.

However, when I go to open the file, I get both a tab with the source code,
as well as a tab with my GUI in it (from the TopComponent I create).

I also noticed that when trying to add my OpenCookie, I had to jump through
what I considered rather significant hoops in order to add my OpenCookie to
the Lookup that was passed in.

The problem is that I wanted to call the super(DataObject, Children,
Lookup) method, but that has to be the first call in the constructor, and
once constructed, there's no way to really work with the Nodes lookup.

I went through several different shenanigans to try and get this to work,
and inevitably I simply extended ProxyLookup so I could add my own
InstnaceContent in a AbstractLookup, then proxy it with the passed in
Lookup. Then I could call super(dObj, Children.LEAF, new MyLookup(lookup)).

So, it just seems I'm doing "too much work" for this.

Should I be using a DataNode at all, vs simply a BeanNode (or something
else)? What am I going to lose (besides opening the source code window), as
in what stuff do I need to rewire on my own that I get "for free" from the
Data Node?

Does the NB file explorers only work with DataNodes?

Unrelated, how long is this mailing list going to last? When NB leaves
incubator, will this one be shut down and we'll need to resubscribe, etc.?
Any idea how long this will be?

Thanks

Regards,

Will Hartung

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org> wrote:

> Note the registerEditor() method you have by default in the DataObject!
>
> I have to say in all my similar uses I've removed that line and added the
> OpenCookie, OpenSupport, or whatever directly to getCookieSet() on the
> DataObject, generally not touching the default DataNode much if at all.

I see, I can explore that, thank you Neil.

Regards,

Will Hartung

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:58 PM Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Simply, I was trying to preserve the Lookup already provided in the
> DataObject. I assume that something in that lookup was opening up the text
> editor? In your change, you simply usurped the Lookup provided by the
> DataObject.

Note the registerEditor() method you have by default in the DataObject!

I have to say in all my similar uses I've removed that line and added the
OpenCookie, OpenSupport, or whatever directly to getCookieSet() on the
DataObject, generally not touching the default DataNode much if at all.

Best wishes,

Neil
--
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:56 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> https://github.com/willhartung/nbtest/pull/1
>
> Also, get the book: leanpub.com/nbp4beginners
>
> Thanks again, Geertjan. The example worked great.

Yes, I already have the book, I was pleasantly surprised by it, it's very
good. I bought the second "porting" book also, but was disappointed to
discover that this "live" book had not been updated since 2014.

When I was doing the work with the DataNode, the problem I had was with the
Lookup.

Simply, I was trying to preserve the Lookup already provided in the
DataObject. I assume that something in that lookup was opening up the text
editor? In your change, you simply usurped the Lookup provided by the
DataObject.

With much of the stuff happening behind the scenes, is there a guideline as
to when I should or should not leverage the existing lookup? Many example
simply create an empty lookup, but this example i was leveraging did not.

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Kai Uwe Pel <ka...@asia.com>.
Sorry, we are not going to help you with Eclipse, since this is a
Netbeans mailing list.

btw, the book leanpub.com/nbp4beginners
<http://leanpub.com/nbp4beginners>  is very recommended!

Regards
Kai

Re: DataNode question

Posted by "Er. Simar Preet Singh" <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: DataNode question

Posted by "Er. Simar Preet Singh" <er...@gmail.com>.

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 9:29 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Best thing is to put code somewhere, e.g., GitHub, so someone can take a
> look.
>
> Yes, this mailing list will become a top level Apache mailing list
> automatically.

Thanks, Geertjan.

Here's simple example: https://github.com/willhartung/nbtest

it contains TestModule, and it demonstrates what I'm seeing, and the Lookup
that I created.

Simply open and run that, and then create a "file.xyz" someplace with a few

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: DataNode question

Posted by Will Hartung <wi...@gmail.com>.