Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Su...@cognizant.com on 2007/09/26 14:30:49 UTC

Setting ClientAuth parameter to true

Hi,

I am unable to set client authentication for SSL in tomcat 5.5.2. I have
generated the certificate for the client and imported the same into the
server's keystore so that the server can verify the client's
certificate. The following is the modification I make on server.xml.

               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"

               acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"

               clientAuth="true" sslProtocol="TLS"

keystoreFile="D:\Projects\Starwood\WSOverSSL\axis\server.keystore"
keystorePass="xxxxxx"

truststoreFile="D:\Projects\Starwood\WSOverSSL\axis\server.keystore"
truststorePass="xxxxxx " />

once this change is done and the server is restarted, I am not able to
hit this url https://localhost:8443 <https://localhost:8443/> .

At the same time, if I change the value of clientAuth back to "false" I
am able to access the url.

Can some pls help where I went wrong?

Thanks,

-Subhash-

Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
prohibited and may be unlawful.

RE: Setting ClientAuth parameter to true

Posted by Su...@cognizant.com.
Thanks for getting back Filip.

I had done this too.. what I did was : created a server keystore and
imported the client certificate into it. Then the gave the server
keystore location to the 'truststoreFile' parameter. Once this
modification is done in server.xml I restart tomcat but its not really
helping me out.

Thanks,
-Subhash-

Your trust store will need to contain the cert the client is supposed to

send up,

Filip

Subhash.NarayananDroupathy@cognizant.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am unable to set client authentication for SSL in tomcat 5.5.2. I
have
> generated the certificate for the client and imported the same into
the
> server's keystore so that the server can verify the client's
> certificate. The following is the modification I make on server.xml.
>

>     <Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>
>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
> maxSpareThreads="75"
>
>                enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
>
>                acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
>
>                clientAuth="true" sslProtocol="TLS"
>

> keystoreFile="D:\Projects\Starwood\WSOverSSL\axis\server.keystore"
> keystorePass="xxxxxx"
>

> truststoreFile="D:\Projects\Starwood\WSOverSSL\axis\server.keystore"
> truststorePass="xxxxxx " />
>

> once this change is done and the server is restarted, I am not able to
> hit this url https://localhost:8443 <https://localhost:8443/> .
>

> At the same time, if I change the value of clientAuth back to "false"
> am able to access the url.
>

> Can some pls help where I went wrong?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Subhash-
>

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of
information.
> Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding,
printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on
this e-mail is strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.

9/24/2007 11:27 AM

Posted by Filip Hanik - Dev Lists <de...@hanik.com>.
Your trust store will need to contain the cert the client is supposed to
send up,

Filip

Subhash.NarayananDroupathy@cognizant.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am unable to set client authentication for SSL in tomcat 5.5.2. I have
> generated the certificate for the client and imported the same into the
> server's keystore so that the server can verify the client's
> certificate. The following is the modification I make on server.xml.
>

>     <Connector port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
>
>                maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
> maxSpareThreads="75"
>
>                enableLookups="false" disableUploadTimeout="true"
>
>                acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
>
>                clientAuth="true" sslProtocol="TLS"
>

> keystoreFile="D:\Projects\Starwood\WSOverSSL\axis\server.keystore"
> keystorePass="xxxxxx"
>

> truststoreFile="D:\Projects\Starwood\WSOverSSL\axis\server.keystore"
> truststorePass="xxxxxx " />
>

> once this change is done and the server is restarted, I am not able to
> hit this url https://localhost:8443 <https://localhost:8443/> .
>

> At the same time, if I change the value of clientAuth back to "false" I
> am able to access the url.
>

> Can some pls help where I went wrong?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Subhash-
>

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
> Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any action taken in reliance on this e-mail is strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.

RE: Setting ClientAuth parameter to true

Posted by Su...@cognizant.com.
Thanks for getting back Tott.
I did see that how-to link . it states that we have to use those fields
only when we have a keystore format other than 'jks'.
1. I had my keystores files with a ".keystore" as extension. Hence I
modified the connector configuration to :: keystoreType="keystore" &
truststoreType="keystore". After this I restarted Tomcat but this didn't
work.

2. Then I regenerated my keystores using a ".jks" extension and removed
the 'type' fields in the connector configuration (since it said the
fields should be used only when other-than-jks format is used). I
restarted my Tomcat again and still it didn't work.

Not sure what I should look at.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Subhash-

the keystoreType attribute and the truststoreType attribute.  If you
check the documentation via this link
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssl-howto.html) it will tell
you what you can have as a value in this field.

Posted by "Clinton J. Totten" <cj...@vsticorp.com>.

Posted by "Clinton J. Totten" <cj...@vsticorp.com>.
I am currently doing the samething right now and am able to access porst
8443.  What is the error that you are getting?