Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Elizabeth Schwartz <be...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/16 22:20:24 UTC

German Spam followup

Thanks for all the pointers to the cf files for this particular virus.
We have one installed and it is working fine - for this  time.

Since I have legitimate users communicating all over the world, I am
very interested in other rulesets that would block spam in languages
besides English. Not sure how big of a problem this is - I know we get
the occasional spam in Chinese. I'm interested in any comments from
folks who have tried to track or filter multinational spam.

As a university we have legitimate correspondance with people in
*every* country so I have to be very careful about blocking IP's or
character sets or other such broad applications.

thanks Betsy

Re: German Spam followup

Posted by Marco Maske <ma...@netcologne.de>.
Elizabeth Schwartz wrote:

> As a university we have legitimate correspondance with people in
> *every* country so I have to be very careful about blocking IP's or
> character sets or other such broad applications.

I think a good help for that is amavisd-new and his new policy banks.
http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/

amavisd-new is an interface for spamassassin and virus scanners.

One way is to scan all mails and get tagged from SA.
Every user has own rules (sql database) and can choose his wantet
character sets.

Or setup policy banks groups: asian character sets lovers, ...

And don't forget the bayes. There must be some *trustet* people from
*every* country, who can choice ham and spam for sa-learn.

--
Ciao Marco, registered GNU/Linux-User 313353

Re: German Spam followup

Posted by Kevin Golding <ke...@caomhin.demon.co.uk>.
In article <0a...@watson1>, Loren Wilton
<lw...@earthlink.net> writes
>> Since I have legitimate users communicating all over the world, I am
>> very interested in other rulesets that would block spam in languages
>> besides English. Not sure how big of a problem this is - I know we get
>
>I believe there is a Chinese project to make a ruleset for chinese spam.
>I've seen correspondences in the sa.dev list.  I don't know if it is going
>to be part of SA at some point, but I think that was the originator's
>intentions.  Probably some searching on Bugzilla or the dev list would turn
>up tracks.

I run this for a few users:
<http://www.ccert.edu.cn/spam/sa/Chinese_rules_en.htm>

I don't think they get much in the way of Chinese mail anyway, but they
don't mention receiving any Chinese spam or losing any to FPs so I'm
happy.

Kevin

Re: German Spam followup

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Since I have legitimate users communicating all over the world, I am
> very interested in other rulesets that would block spam in languages
> besides English. Not sure how big of a problem this is - I know we get

I believe there is a Chinese project to make a ruleset for chinese spam.
I've seen correspondences in the sa.dev list.  I don't know if it is going
to be part of SA at some point, but I think that was the originator's
intentions.  Probably some searching on Bugzilla or the dev list would turn
up tracks.

        Loren