Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Mukul <mu...@yahoo.com> on 2003/06/07 09:21:58 UTC

White space problems with TXTRenderer

Hello ,
I am using FOP 0.20.4 to produce TXT file from XML i/p
document. By the posts I have read about FOP
TXTRenderer, it seems it does not generate production
quality TXT o/p.

for e.g. when I write in XSL-FO as
<fo:block>
<!--some text..	-->
</fo:block>

the TXT o/p generate extra spaces. The TXT o/p is also
not consistent. For e.g. if my XML has many
records(tags) , sometimes white spaces problems comes
in for e.g. 8th record , sometimes white space problem
comes in some other record.

Is there a way to control the o/p behaviour
predictably? I want that the TXT o/p should appear as
equal to a PDF o/p. Ideally the same stylesheet must
produce identical PDF and TXT o/p s. Is it possible!

Regards,
Mukul

Re: White space problems with TXTRenderer

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.
The TXT renderer is certainly not FOP's most sophisticated renderer and,
unfortunately, its developer is no longer active. Please read about the
text renderer here: http://xml.apache.org/fop/output.html#txt

I know there have been similar questions in the past. So please search
through the mailing list archives. I'm pretty sure you'll find some
useful information. Good luck.

On 07.06.2003 09:21:58 Mukul wrote:
> Hello ,
> I am using FOP 0.20.4 to produce TXT file from XML i/p
> document. By the posts I have read about FOP
> TXTRenderer, it seems it does not generate production
> quality TXT o/p.
>
> for e.g. when I write in XSL-FO as
> <fo:block>
> <!--some text..	-->
> </fo:block>
>
> the TXT o/p generate extra spaces. The TXT o/p is also
> not consistent. For e.g. if my XML has many
> records(tags) , sometimes white spaces problems comes
> in for e.g. 8th record , sometimes white space problem
> comes in some other record.
>
> Is there a way to control the o/p behaviour
> predictably? I want that the TXT o/p should appear as
> equal to a PDF o/p. Ideally the same stylesheet must
> produce identical PDF and TXT o/p s. Is it possible!

Jeremias Maerki