Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/28 02:50:50 UTC

<[[CDATA is templates?

Is there any way to prevent tapestry from parsing a section of a template and just have it spit it out as raw html such as a <[[CDATA tag does in xml?

Thanks,
Kris

plugin for generate getters and setters

Posted by Alexey Romanchuk <ui...@gorodok.net>.
Hello tapestry community.

Spindle  is  great  plugin  for tapestry, but when i use it have found
there  is  missed  handly features. I write simple plugin for generate
abstract getters and setters. If someone intrested visit sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/emuz/
submit feature request and bugs via sourceforge tracking or via email.

it  works  simple - just click on *.page file in navigation or packege
explorer  view  and  choise  emuz  menu.  there is just one item - add
abstract  method. then in dialog choise what method you want generate.

thanks for reading!

                       Alexey Romanchuk

Re: <[[CDATA is templates?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jan 31, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Kris Rasmussen wrote:
> Hey Erik,
> I am thinking I might be able to use sitemesh for the templating
> instead of tapestry templates but I don't really understand what it is
> capable of after reading the docs on sitemesh website.

SiteMesh is for *decorating*, not for templating the original content.
In other words, you'd need some HTML generated by some other means
(static HTML, servlet, JSP, Tapestry, etc) and SiteMesh would parse
that HTML and re-wrap it inside a decorator you'd define.  Decorators
can be in Velocity, Freemarker, JSP, and *now Tapestry!* (and could be
in other technologies too, but that would require custom coding).

>  Could I have tapestry output things like like....

I don't know what you mean by "output" here.   What you show is JSP
taglib syntax.

> <page:param name="forumnMessages">
>
>   <page:applyDecorator name="forumEntryDecorator">
>      <page:param name="message"> some html here </page:param>
>      <page:param name="author"> Author name </page:param>
>      <page:param name="time">some time</page:param>
>   </page>
>
>   <page:applyDecorator name="forumEntryDecorator">
>      <page:param name="message"> some other html here </page:param>
>      <page:param name="author"> Another Author name </page:param>
>      <page:param name="time">some other time</page:param>
>   </page>
> </page>
>
> And then have sitemesh decorator handle the conversion to html?

SiteMesh, again, decorates existing HTML.

>  Would site mesh let me define params recursivly like that?

I don't think so, but I have no experience with the SiteMesh taglibs so
could be wrong.

> Wouldn't this be extremely slow, like cocoon?

Woah!  :)  First of all, I don't think Cocoon is slow.  SiteMesh is not
slow either - its parser is on the order of milliseconds.  See the
first FAQ item:

	http://www.opensymphony.com/sitemesh/faq.html

> I want to provide the ability to switch templates so that naive users
> who don't know how to use css can create templates and rebrand their
> pages. Also, it is often necessary to reorder basic html content so
> that it can be positioned correctly with css without using absolute
> positioning.

Maybe the simplest solution, since you're not wanting to use Tapestry
templates for the end users, is to generate basic HTML with Tapestry
and SiteMesh it with Velocity templates that the users can tweak.
Velocity, though, has the same risk that Tapestry templates have in
that expressions can dig into the model and call methods that you may
not want exposed.

I still think the best solution is to add a switch to the Tapestry
template parser to disallow @syntax and "ognl:..." expressions.

	Erik

Re: <[[CDATA is templates?

Posted by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>.
Hey Erik,
I am thinking I might be able to use sitemesh for the templating instead of tapestry templates but I don't really understand what it is capable of after reading the docs on sitemesh website. Could I have tapestry output things like like....

<page:param name="forumnMessages">

  <page:applyDecorator name="forumEntryDecorator">
     <page:param name="message"> some html here </page:param>
     <page:param name="author"> Author name </page:param>
     <page:param name="time">some time</page:param>
  </page>

  <page:applyDecorator name="forumEntryDecorator">
     <page:param name="message"> some other html here </page:param>
     <page:param name="author"> Another Author name </page:param>
     <page:param name="time">some other time</page:param>
  </page>
</page>

And then have sitemesh decorator handle the conversion to html? Would site mesh let me define params recursivly like that? Wouldn't this be extremely slow, like cocoon?

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: <[[CDATA is templates?

Posted by Kris Rasmussen <kr...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: <[[CDATA is templates?

Posted by Jamie Orchard-Hays <ja...@dang.com>.
Hey, that's a great idea.

Re: <[[CDATA is templates?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
If users only know about jwcid="..." attributes, then they only have
the power you give them.

I'd like to see a switch in Tapestry 3.1 that allows turning off the
informal @syntax and "ognl:..." expressions in templates for this very
reason though.

You could run the templates the users create through JTidy, remove any
jwcid="@..." attributes and any that have "ognl:" in them.  Maybe that
would work as your compilation step?

	Erik

Re: <[[CDATA is templates?