Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de> on 2005/02/04 05:15:23 UTC

svn propset --append

hi,

as the subject already said it would be cool if you could append some
values to an already existing property. like adding recursively adding
some name to the ignore list.

darix

--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

              http://www.irssi.de/

Re: svn propset --append

Posted by "Peter N. Lundblad" <pe...@famlundblad.se>.
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2005, at 11:47 PM, Branko Čibej wrote:
>
> > Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> >
> >> as the subject already said it would be cool if you could append some
> >> values to an already existing property. like adding recursively adding
> >> some name to the ignore list.
> >>
> > This would really be overdoing it. You can do this with a one-line
> > script.
> >

> Or even easier, with 'svn propedit'.

Except that isn't recursive:-)

//Peter

Re: svn propset --append

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: svn propset --append

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Saturday, February 5, 2005 1:12 AM +0100 "Branko ?ibej" <br...@xbc.nu>
wrote:

> Personally, I think this wole idea is crazy. If we start implementing
> things like this, we might as well pack a default editor for propedit,
> too.
>
> If someone wants to put a propappend.py script into contrib, that's fine.
> But this sort of thing doesn't belong in the code.

+1.  -- justin

Re: svn propset --append

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Max Bowsher wrote:

> Marcus Rueckert wrote:
>
>> On 2005-02-04 06:47:58 +0100, Branko ??ibej wrote:
>>
>>> This would really be overdoing it. You can do this with a one-line
>>> script.
>>

>> might be... but it can get rather complex.
>>
>> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>>
>>> Or even easier, with 'svn propedit'.
>>

>> ben... on irc you even agreed to this addition. i just forgot to mail at
>> that time.
>>
>> and i can just agree to peter. propedit is non recursive and a bit
>> cumbersome for many targets
>

> I'm inclined to agree, but I'm worried about the case when the
> existing property isn't terminated by a newline.
>
> Do we define special semantics for svn:* properties (add a seperating
> newline between the existing nd appended values if one not already
> present)?
>
> Or do we define this for all properties?

Certainly not for all properties.

> Are there any instances when this would be undesired?

Personally, I think this wole idea is crazy. If we start implementing
things like this, we might as well pack a default editor for propedit, too.

If someone wants to put a propappend.py script into contrib, that's
fine. But this sort of thing doesn't belong in the code.

-- Brane

Re: svn propset --append

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> On 2005-02-04 06:47:58 +0100, Branko ??ibej wrote:
>> This would really be overdoing it. You can do this with a one-line
>> script.
>
> might be... but it can get rather complex.
>
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
>> Or even easier, with 'svn propedit'.
>
> ben... on irc you even agreed to this addition. i just forgot to mail at
> that time.
>
> and i can just agree to peter. propedit is non recursive and a bit
> cumbersome for many targets

I'm inclined to agree, but I'm worried about the case when the existing
property isn't terminated by a newline.

Do we define special semantics for svn:* properties (add a seperating
newline between the existing nd appended values if one not already present)?

Or do we define this for all properties?

Are there any instances when this would be undesired?

Max.

Re: svn propset --append

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.

Re: svn propset --append