Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Mohammed.Adnan2" <Mo...@target.com> on 2018/01/30 07:57:14 UTC

Using Solr with SharePoint Online

Hello Team,

I am a beginner learning Apache Solr. I am trying to check the compatibility of solr with SharePoint Online, but I am not getting anything concrete related to this in the website documentation. Can you please help me in providing some information on this? How I can index my SharePoint content with solr and then use solr on my SharePoint sites? I really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks,
Adnan

Re: Using Solr with SharePoint Online

Posted by Charlie Hull <ch...@flax.co.uk>.
On 30/01/2018 07:57, Mohammed.Adnan2 wrote:
> Hello Team,
>
> I am a beginner learning Apache Solr. I am trying to check the compatibility of solr with SharePoint Online, but I am not getting anything concrete related to this in the website documentation. Can you please help me in providing some information on this? How I can index my SharePoint content with solr and then use solr on my SharePoint sites? I really appreciate your help on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Adnan

Hi Adnan,

There are various things you need to consider:
1. Why do you need Solr at all - Sharepoint Online has its own built-in
search engine.
2. Installing Solr on a Windows server with access to Sharepoint Online
- shouldn't be a huge problem, Solr is a Java application so you'll also
need Java installed. You might want to run Solr as a Windows Service so
it's always there in the background - look up NSSM.
3. You need a way to get the content out of Sharepoint and into Solr.
The best way to do this will be to crawl the Sharepoint site. There are
some commercially available connectors from BA Insight and Lucidworks or
you'll have to roll your own. This https://github.com/golincode/SPOC
might be a good starting point. If you go this route you'll certainly
need to condition the data before you index it with Solr, so you'll have
to understand how Solr schemas, analyzers etc. work.
4. Then you'll need a UI to talk to Solr to carry out queries - if this
is to live within the Sharepoint world you'll need to write a web
application compatible with Sharepoint.

HTH,

Charlie

--