Posted to dev@tinkerpop.apache.org by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com> on 2021/02/19 12:16:55 UTC

[DISCUSS] Revert to Groovy 2.x for 3.5.0

Given the performance problems with Groovy 3.0 that I've detailed in this
thread:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rbd7b09e53f7a0e421057192ed564907755252b8bd43085ecb16f98e4%40%3Cdev.tinkerpop.apache.org%3E

and further documented in this issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-2526

and compounded by what I can only describe as unprecedented disinterest in
the problem by the Groovy Community, I think it wise that we revert 3.0 and

https://github.com/apache/tinkerpop/commit/cc3c5cb83e253b9949076628a7cfaade7f86f40e

I will then reopen the Groovy 3.0 issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TINKERPOP-2373

and link it to the performance blocker with TINKERPOP-2526.

If there are no objections in the next 72 hours, I'll assume lazy consensus
and push on in this direction.

I'm a bit shocked by the lack of feedback I've gotten on this issue from
Groovy to be honest. Just silence. It's understandable in that it is
perhaps a difficult/complex problem to get into but it's been months now
and without at least some direction and communication with Groovy project
members I could spend weeks developing a fix that may not even be
acceptable to be integrated into their code base.

I don't want to read too much into this situation but it highlights our
continued dependence on Groovy despite our attempts to get better
separation as we went to TinkerPop 3. I'm starting to feel concerned that
this dependence is shifting further to "risk". I don't think we need to
make any immediate decisions, but with the expected move to processing
Gremlin with antlr (i.e. gremlin-script)[1] it might be time to try to cut
the cord further. Perhaps we switch to JShell for the Gremlin Console or
develop our own repl around gremlin-script?? Maybe we also deprecate Groovy
as a ScriptEngine in Gremlin Server and only host gremlin-script?? I
suppose that all of this is ideas for a different thread and for a
different day.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rc9288877898d583b3307eebf09949d5887081da38186dd82e59077ae%40%3Cdev.tinkerpop.apache.org%3E

Re: [DISCUSS] Revert to Groovy 2.x for 3.5.0

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.
Docs are publishing now for 3.5.0 after the revert:

https://tinkerpop.apache.org/docs/3.5.0-SNAPSHOT/reference/

Posted by Stephen Mallette <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Perryman <jo...@gmail.com>.