Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by shweta <sh...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/07 17:22:40 UTC

Difference between metrics.json and widgets.json for Ambari Service.

Hi All,

I can see that sample metrics.json has couple of attributes for GC.
 "metrics/jvm/gc/runs/$1": {
              "metric": "jvm.gc.runs.(\\w+)",
              "pointInTime": true,
              "temporal": true
            },
            "metrics/jvm/gc/time/$1": {
              "metric": "jvm.gc.time.(\\w+)",
              "pointInTime": true,
              "temporal": true
            }

However widget.json does not have anything for information regarding
gathering GC parameters. I would like to gather GC metrics also. When I see
on Ambari I cannot get a widget for same probably for same reason.
Is there any specific reason why GC params are not included in widget.json
as given in
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Ambari+Metrics.

Thanks,
Shweta

Re: Difference between metrics.json and widgets.json for Ambari Service.

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
Shweta,

The GC metrics are sent over with the name of the garbage collector in the
metric name. In metrics.json it allows defining metrics with a wildcard,
but you can't define widgets without knowing the metric name ahead of time.
Currently it is a limitation of Ambari and you can't get the GC metrics
displayed with the example provided.

-Bryan