Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Asil Klin <as...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/08 06:13:29 UTC

Composite columns vs Protocol Buffers when all you need is to pack many things in a single column

I know Composite columns are used for some very  useful scenarios(like to
replace super columns) which cannot be helped with anything else.
But, for situations when you just need to pack many things in a single
column efficiently and such that the retrievals are also performant, which
one should be used ?

(I need to store the serialized data as column value.)

Re: Composite columns vs Protocol Buffers when all you need is to pack many things in a single column

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
CompositeType is meant as a comparator to deal with composite column names.
While it is possible to use it as a column value validator, I don't
see any good
use of that.

--
Sylvain