Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Garrison Hoffman <ga...@codefix.net> on 2005/09/18 07:25:10 UTC

Apache::Session cleanup

I'm using mod_perl2 + Apache::Session::MySQL and I'm wondering what to
do with stale sessions.  Does Apache::Session do any cleanup or do I
need to explicitly tied(%session)->delete; ?

I'm storing session IDs in cookies for 60 days, so I'd like to limit
sessions similarly.  I could certainly run a cron for this, but is there
a better way?

 Garrison Hoffman         Codefix Consulting       1.718.210.3445
 garrison@codefix.net     http://codefix.net/      1.866.456.0584

Re: Apache::Session cleanup

Posted by Garrison Hoffman <ga...@codefix.net>.
___cliff rayman___ wrote:

> I believe that deleting them via the cron is the standard method.

This makes sense, though I had hoped for something more perlish.

> I actual use a more complex technique that looks into the session to
> decide if it is a session worth saving, such as it contains an affiliate
> referral, or cart data, etc..

I posted the same question on perlmonks and got some sample code for
reading the frozen/base64 encoded hash used by Apache::Session::DBI

http://perlmonks.com/?node_id=492983

Re: Apache::Session cleanup

Posted by ___cliff rayman___ <cl...@rayman.com>.

Garrison Hoffman wrote:

>I'm storing session IDs in cookies for 60 days, so I'd like to limit
>sessions similarly.  I could certainly run a cron for this, but is there
>a better way?

I believe that deleting them via the cron is the standard method.  Test
out the following (by changing rm to ls -l) before letting it loose on
your system.:
find /path/to/session/dir /path/to/lock/dir -type -f  -mtime +60 -exec
rm {} \;

--
Business Consulting and Turnaround Management