Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/05/05 05:15:21 UTC

Re: Struts Chain & 1.2.7 Version

Joe,

I just updated the STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH so that struts-chain is included in the
1.2.x source distribution (from sandbox/STRUTS_1_2_BRANCH/struts-chain) - is
there any merit in including any of your recent Chain changes in 1.2.7?

Niall

Re: Struts Chain & 1.2.7 Version

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
These most recent changes are pretty small, and wouldn't simply patch
into the sandbox version of struts-chain.

Your question made me think about the bigger question a bit, which is
maintaining "struts-chain" for use out of Struts 1.3 -- but after a
bit of thought, I feel that there's diminishing returns in that.
There's not much about Struts 1.3 that's very new *besides* the
chain, so backporting chain changes so people could use it with the
ostensibly more stable Struts 1.2.x is really not getting anywhere.

So, i'm considering struts-chain to be an evolutionary dead end.  It
works, so no reason not to distribute it to people who are still
using Struts 1.2 if they want to dabble -- but unless more demand is
evidenced, I'd prefer that we encourage people who really want to try
using the ComposableRequestProcessor to just use Struts 1.3.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com