Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Lance E Sloan <ls...@umich.edu> on 2004/07/14 16:57:53 UTC

trouble locking on remote filesystems

I'm very new to Subversion.  I just installed it on my Mac OS X 10.3
machine using Fink.  I installed the svn and svn-client packages and their
dependencies.  I'm working with it now, but at first, I was getting this
message in response to my "svn import":

  Can't get shared lock on file '/Volumes/Slave/svntest/locks/db.lock':
  Operation not supported

That's on a volume remotely mounted from another computer on the network
using AFP.  After a while, I remembered that some types of locking do not
work on filesystems mounted from remote hosts.  So I tried using a
repository on my local drive instead and all was good.  I tried using a
filesystem mounted with SMB to see what would happen and that failed, too.

If this is a FAQ or a case of RTFM, let me know.  I think it would be great
if Subversion could use some sort of locking methods that would work
equally well on local filesystems or those mounted from a remote host.

--
Lance E Sloan, Systems Research Programmer III
U-M WATS: Web Applications, Technologies, and Solutions