Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by DAVID TURNER <DT...@nhbb.com> on 2005/02/02 17:32:58 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.4/Windows 2000 server - Failed to register in JMX: BasicDataSourceFactory

I'm running Tomcat 5.5.4 on Windows 2000 Server and encountered the below
error on Tomcat startup:

Feb 2, 2005 10:50:49 AM org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener
addResource
WARNING: Failed to register in JMX: javax.naming.NamingException: Could
not create resource factory,
ClassNotFoundException:org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory

My webapp uses JDBC DataSource's and the BasicDataSourceFactory for
pooling so this problem of "ClassNotFoundException" is causing my webapp
to not work properly.

I have Tomcat 5.5.4 also installed on my local maching which has Windows
XP on it, and there is absolutely no problem on startup and and my webapp.

Does anyone no what's happening here?  Why does Tomcat register the
BasicDataSourceFactory with no problems in Tomcat 5.5.4 on Windows XP and
not on Windows 2000 Server?

Re: Tomcat 5.5.4/Windows 2000 server - Failed to register in JMX: BasicDataSourceFactory

Posted by Mario Winterer <ma...@eduhi.at>.
Hi Greg, hi David!

Sure, there is anoter factory you could use: The tomcat-built-in
datasource factory. Unfortunately I do not know the classname of this
factory, but I think it is somewhere in the library
naming-factory-dbcp.jar which is located in common/lib.
(The Tomcat-guys didn't want to add the complete jakarta-commons-pool
and jakarta-commons-dbcp libraries because most of the classes inside
these libraries are not needed by tomcat. So they extracted the required
classes only and repacked them thogether with some other classes into
naming-factory-dbcp.jar. To avoid confusions and errors, they also
modified the package names - thats why you get a ClassNotFoundException
when you configure the JNDI-context to use the
"org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory").
But I'm not sure if it is a good idea to extend one of those
tomcat-internal datasource factories! This would REALLY tie your code
close to tomcat!
Apart from that: If you implement/extend an existing DataSource factory,
you have to put your implementation inside the common/classes directory
- otherwise tomcat won't find it when it initializes the JNDI-context!
So why not put the commons-pool and commons-dbcp jars into common/lib too?
So my suggestion: Extend BasicDataSourceFactory from commons-dbcp and
put the two jars mentioned above into common/lib.

Best regards,
  Tex

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Look at your database. There should be at least the pool size of connections
open when there is no activity.

Whether or not you specify the factory depends on the factory being used. If
it is a standard factory in Tomcat that Tomcat is already aware of, it is
not needed. But if you use a set of drivers that use a different or special
factory you will need to call it out. This information is in the docs but is
a little scattered. Read all the pages on jndi, jdbc and global resources.
Including:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

The other simple answer is what code are you using? If you are calling the
DriverManager then no, but if you are calling
DataSource ds = (DataSource) ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/myDB"); or
similar then you are using Tomcats built in pooling. Otherwise you would get
an error.

Doug

Posted by Mario Winterer <ma...@eduhi.at>.
Hi David!