Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ayman_AU <ay...@hotmail.com> on 2011/01/19 17:52:15 UTC

Question about redirecting in tomcat

Hi Gurus,

I have a question which will be a great help if you can answer it for me.
Thanks in advance.

I created a DNS on a LAN called peterbay.ae
This DNS is forwarding to IP address 10.10.8.14
I have an application running on Tomcat which can be accessed via this
address:

http://10.10.8.14:19080/taskspace?appname=AAM_CMS2

I want user to go on peterbay.ae and get forwarded to the above URL. I know
that some configuration should be done on tomcat server.xml

Please confirm and what to do if possible.

Thanks

Re: Question about redirecting in tomcat

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Ayman_AU wrote:
> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have a question which will be a great help if you can answer it for me.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> I created a DNS on a LAN called peterbay.ae
> This DNS is forwarding to IP address 10.10.8.14
> I have an application running on Tomcat which can be accessed via this
> address:
>
> http://10.10.8.14:19080/taskspace?appname=AAM_CMS2
>
> I want user to go on peterbay.ae and get forwarded to the above URL. I know
> that some configuration should be done on tomcat server.xml
>
> Please confirm and what to do if possible.

Hi.
As it is phrased, your question is difficult to understand.

I'll try an answer :

If your DNS is configured properly, and your workstation is using it, and your Tomcat has
a standard configuration, then you should not need to do anything. It should just work.

By the way, DNS or whatever does not "forward" anything.
DNS is just like a telephone directory (or, if you do not understand that expression, like
the "contact list" on a mobile phone).  It is used by the browser to translate a computer
name (like "peterbay.ae"), easier for humans to remember, into an IP address (like
10.10.8.14) which is what computers and networks use.
When the browser receives the translation (the IP address), it makes a connection to that
address and sends the URL to it.
If Tomcat is listening at the other end, it will process that call and send a response.

By entering the URL "http://10.10.8.14:19080/taskspace?appname=AAM_CMS2", you are just
skipping one step (the DNS translation), but otherwise it is (almost) the same thing.

In other words, if it does not work, it is a problem of the browsing station
configuration, or the DNS configuration, but not a problem of Tomcat.