Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Matthias Kerkhoff <ma...@BESToffers.de> on 2000/11/18 02:52:02 UTC

Request: Move nocache into struts-config

Hi all,

having a whole website that forbids caching is quite uncommon. The
opposite - websites allowing caching of all pages - may be used more
often, but I would think, the general case is, that most pages are
allowed to be cached, while a few pages should not be cached.

I would therefore kindly request to move the cache/nocache flag
away from the action servlet into the struts-config, where it
should be part of the action element and maybe part of the forward
element too.
This would allow a per-page configuration of caching - at least
for those pages going through actions - and thus be much more useful.

Also - I would appreciate having a finer control over the caching.
I could imagine (just as an example) an integer expiration-time
instead of a simple yes/no flag.

Opinions ?

--
Matthias                          mailto:make@BESToffers.de

Re: Request: Move nocache into struts-config

Posted by Alec Bau <Al...@msdw.com>.
I totally agree! For example I want to be able to have nocache for only a logon
action but allow other actions to be cached. In case user bookmarks a uri within
the app I anyway check the logon validity in control servlet and via tag on
every JSP page. And for all but logon I don't care if user hits reload or back
button on a browser (actually I would prefer this).

Thanks,
    Alec

Posted by Alec Bau <Al...@msdw.com>.