Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by abhishek srivastava <ab...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/09 16:56:50 UTC

Connection pooling doesn't work for me ... Help !!

Hello everyone,

I read the tomcat jndi how to manual. searched the mailing list archive. and
did everything which has made other happily get a connection from the jndi
of the pool but I just can't do it.

DataSource ds  = (javax.sql.DataSource)
initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env/jdbc/MPSSource");
return ds.getConnection(); ///// RETURNS NULL !!

Re: Connection pooling doesn't work for me ... Help !!

Posted by Martin Jacobson <ma...@libero.it>.
anthony.dodd wrote:

> Hi
>
>     I've posted a solution see "Generic DataSource Resource Factory
> Available. JDBC Data Source" on the tomcat user maillist.
>
> Tony

Yes, but...

Like many others on this list, I too have been unable to get the std
JNDI DataSource thingy working; as an interim measure, I implemented a
workaround (which does at least work!), but I refuse to be defeated!

My understanding is that the standard naming factory wotsit is "Tyrex" -
if I implement Anthony Dodd's offering, do I chuck out Tyrex?

My latest attempt is based on the suggestions offered by Les Hughes,
which uses the Jakarta Commons DBCP, collections, and pool libraries.
However, when I run my application, I get the (by now, all too familiar)
following exception thrown:
2002-06-13 13:37:15 static: Error!
javax.naming.NamingException: Exception creating DataSource:
org.hsql.jdbcDriver
         at
org.apache.naming.factory.TyrexDataSourceFactory.getObjectInstance(TyrexDataSourceFactory.java:227)
         at
org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:165)
         at
javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:304)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:835)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:181)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:822)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:181)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:822)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:181)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:822)
         at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:194)
         at
org.apache.naming.SelectorContext.lookup(SelectorContext.java:183)
         at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:350)
         at com.terma.martin.drs.StaticPage.handleRequest(Unknown Source)
         at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doRequest(VelocityServlet.java:331)
         at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doGet(VelocityServlet.java:292)

It seems as though Tyrex is trying to use org.hsql.jdbcDriver, which I
don't want - I'm using MySQL - or am I not interpreting the stack trace
properly?

Here is the relevant part of server.xml:
<Resource name="jdbc/RadiationDB"
	auth="Container"
	type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>
<Resource-params name="jdbc/RadiationDB">
	<parameter>
	 <name>factory</name>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
	 <name>user</name>
	 <value>me</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
	 <name>password</name>
	 <value>secret!</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
	 <name>driverClassName</name>
	 <value>org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver</value>
	</parameter>
	<parameter>
	 <name>url</name>
	 <value>jdbc:mysql://localhost/radiation</value>
	</parameter>
</Resource-params>

My configuration is:
Tomcat 4.0.4b1
mm.MySQL 2.0.12
latest DBCP from nightly build
mySQL 3.23.46

running on Mac OS X (10.1.5) JDK 1.3.1

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks,
Martin

PS Sorry about the length of the post :-(

Re: Connection pooling doesn't work for me ... Help !!

Posted by "anthony.dodd" <an...@ntlworld.com>.
Hi

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>