Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Arnd Beißner <ar...@cappelino.de> on 2002/05/14 21:19:07 UTC

page-number-citation in combination with force-page-count

Question:

In my current print jobs, I have two page sequences where the second
sequence has its own numbering
scheme (reset to 1). The PDF I generate need be printed in duplex mode. My
first page sequence
typically has two pages, but there's sometimes a document where the first
sequence is three pages
long. Since I need to have an even number of pages in the first sequence
(otherwise duplex printing
is broken, in insert a force-page-count="end-on-even" in the first
sequence.

Works fine. But: I use page-number-citations in the footer to get "page x
of y" style page counts.
To get the "y", I append an empty block with an id property to the flow
that I reference with the
page-number-citation.

Because that empty block happens to be formatted on page 3 (4 is empty in
this case), I get
a footer "page 4 of 3" on page 4.

Of course, this is logical, I think. Now the question is: how can that
kind of problem be solved
with :FO (preferably with FOP, too.. 8-) )

I need to reference a formatting object that is on the "empty" page. This
I cannot do, since I
don't have a formatting object on the page - besides the static-content
footer which doesn't
help, because it's repeated -.

Well, ok, I might be able to do something with the blank-or-not-blank
property, but then the
blank page isn't counted.

I don't see how I could use a page-position="last" property for this,
either.

Did I stumble upon a missing feature in XSL:FO, or am I just too tired?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Arnd Beissner
--
Cappelino Informationstechnologie GmbH
Arnd Beißner

Re: page-number-citation in combination with force-page-count

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Arnd Beißner wrote:
> I don't see how I could use a page-position="last" property for this,
> either.
This could work if it were implemented in FOP.

> Did I stumble upon a missing feature in XSL:FO,
Yes. There is no feature to really *count* pages, you can
only cite page numbers.

Postprocessing with iText or implementing an extension
element might help.

J.Pietschmann