Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Prashant Kommireddi <pr...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/18 06:02:57 UTC

Does Pig support Snappy compression?

I understand Pig supports only Gzip and Bzip compression algorithms. Would
it be fine if I set map output compression (between map and reduce) to
SnappyCodec? I am guessing this should not be a problem.

Also, is there a plan to add support for SnappyCodec (Load snappy
compressed files)?

Thanks,
Prashant

Re: Does Pig support Snappy compression?

Posted by Prashant Kommireddi <pr...@gmail.com>.
I tested it and map output compression works just fine. Thanks Alan.

Quick follow-up question. I am trying to store some files ( which are
currently gzip compressed ) as SequenceFiles (BLOCK compressed using Gzip).
Can you please point me to any documentation that I could use to read/write
such sequence files with Pig? SequenceFileLoader seems to be an option but
I could not find any documentation around it.

-Prashant

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.