Posted to general@commons.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2002/10/19 03:43:59 UTC

commons lists

i've added a trailer to all of the lists (you know, 'to unsubscribe..').
question: we have a pmc, cvs, announce, and general list; shouldn't we
have a dev list as well?
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: commons lists

Posted by Aaron Bannert <aa...@clove.org>.
On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:10:54PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > When I requested the infrastructure set-up, I asked for general@ because
> > that seemed to be the pattern in use in Jakarta/XML and their commons
> > (sub)projects. We should use either dev@ or general@; I don't have a
> > preference.
>
> disagree.  'dev' is for development discussions (think dev@httpd); 'general'
> is for general discussions, including/especially users (think users@httpd).

Isn't the real issue here whether the Top-level Commons contributors
will be dealing with developmental issues (as in code) or just general
organizational issues (as in which projects to accept, and under what
circumstances)?

I tend to like modeling it after the previously successful Jakarta
Commons project.

-aaron

Re: commons lists

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Okay this is pedantic, who cares what you name it.  I was just stating a
disadvantage (every 1-2 months we have a flamewar with some poor
unsuspecting moron on general@jakarta).  Paint the bikeshed yellow with
big bold black letters that say BIKE SHED so that everyone sees it and
knows its function.

-Andy

On Sat, 2002-10-19 at 23:10, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Greg Stein wrote:
> >
> > When I requested the infrastructure set-up, I asked for general@ because
> > that seemed to be the pattern in use in Jakarta/XML and their commons
> > (sub)projects. We should use either dev@ or general@; I don't have a
> > preference.
>
> disagree.  'dev' is for development discussions (think dev@httpd); 'general'
> is for general discussions, including/especially users (think users@httpd).
>
> > For CVS modules, we should have 'commons', 'commons-site', and *maybe*
> > 'commons-core'. I'm not sure if we want/need a PMC-private repository.
>
> partially tbd.
> --
> #ken	P-)}
>
> Ken Coar, Sanagendamgagwedweinini  http://Golux.Com/coar/
>
> "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: commons lists

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

people@commons.apache.org or whatever.

Re: commons lists

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: commons lists

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 09:43:59PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> i've added a trailer to all of the lists (you know, 'to unsubscribe..').
> question: we have a pmc, cvs, announce, and general list; shouldn't we
> have a dev list as well?

When I requested the infrastructure set-up, I asked for general@ because
that seemed to be the pattern in use in Jakarta/XML and their commons
(sub)projects. We should use either dev@ or general@; I don't have a
preference.

For CVS modules, we should have 'commons', 'commons-site', and *maybe*
'commons-core'. I'm not sure if we want/need a PMC-private repository.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

> i've added a trailer to all of the lists (you know, 'to unsubscribe..').
> question: we have a pmc, cvs, announce, and general list; shouldn't we
> have a dev list as well?

IMO, yes.

Sander