Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by "Henry C." <he...@cityweb.co.za> on 2011/10/15 12:39:27 UTC

Parent proxy instead of ICP

Greets,

I'm trying out ts as a reverse-proxy on a cluster.

I see from the docs and list that ICP is b%rken, so I'm giving parent.config a
try.  I've got it configured, but I have no idea whether it's working or not.
I can see the TCP_MISS/200 and subsequent DIRECT-to-origin in squid.log, but I
don't see anything in the parent's log squid.log (ie, I don't know where to
look to confirm that the sibling is consulting the parent about the missed
object).

My sibling config:
/usr/local/etc/trafficserver/parent.config:
dest_host=.  parent="zp0:80"  round_robin=strict
# zp0 is the parent hostname

/usr/local/etc/trafficserver/records.config:
CONFIG proxy.config.http.parent_proxy_routing_enable INT 1

...and then ran
~# traffic_line  -x

...and for good measure
~# trafficserver  restart

I'm using CentOS 5.x.

~# traffic_server  --version
[TrafficServer] using root directory '/usr/local'
Apache Traffic Server - traffic_server - 3.0.1 - (build # 91415 on Oct 14 2011
at 15:13:32)

I'd appreciate any pointers/hints on what I'm doing wrong or where to look to
confirm that the sibling->parent communication is happening.  Hopefully ICP
will be fixed SomeDaySoon(tm), since ts is rather hamstrung without this in a
large cluster environment.

--
Regards
Henry

Re: Parent proxy instead of ICP

Posted by "Henry C." <he...@cityweb.co.za>.
On Mon, October 17, 2011 11:28, ming.zym@gmail.com wrote:
> I think you should use the current trunk for parent caching.

...and speaking of trunk, can the devs comment on status of ICP therein?

thanks

Re: Parent proxy instead of ICP

Posted by "Henry C." <he...@cityweb.co.za>.
On Mon, October 17, 2011 11:28, ming.zym@gmail.com wrote:
> I think you should use the current trunk for parent caching.
>

> before enable parent, make sure your child & parent both working without any
> problem, and keep in mind that parenting is for forward caching by default.

Thanks for the feedback.

When you refer to forward caching by default, are you saying I cannot use it
for reverse proxying, or are you mentioning it for some other reason?

Re: Parent proxy instead of ICP

Posted by "ming.zym@gmail.com" <mi...@gmail.com>.
I think you should use the current trunk for parent caching.

before enable parent, make sure your child & parent both working without
any problem, and keep in mind that parenting is for forward caching by
default.

enable proxy.config.diags.debug.enabled may help you debug the http
issues.

good luck.

在 2011-10-17一的 08:55 +0200,Henry C.写道:

--
zym, Zhao Yongming.
aka: yonghao @ taobao.com

Re: Parent proxy instead of ICP

Posted by "Henry C." <he...@cityweb.co.za>.
On Sat, October 15, 2011 12:39, Henry C. wrote:
> I see from the docs and list that ICP is b%rken, so I'm giving parent.config
> a try.  I've got it configured, but I have no idea whether it's working or
> not. I can see the TCP_MISS/200 and subsequent DIRECT-to-origin in squid.log,
> but I don't see anything in the parent's log squid.log (ie, I don't know where
> to look to confirm that the sibling is consulting the parent about the missed
> object).

I've turned on debugging in