Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/10 17:17:09 UTC

[VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the third candidate for release of Apache Kafka 2.0.0.

This is a major version release of Apache Kafka. It includes 40 new  KIPs
and

several critical bug fixes. Please see the 2.0.0 release plan for more
details:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=80448820

A few notable highlights:

   - Prefixed wildcard ACLs (KIP-290), Fine grained ACLs for CreateTopics
   (KIP-277)
   - SASL/OAUTHBEARER implementation (KIP-255)
   - Improved quota communication and customization of quotas (KIP-219,
   KIP-257)
   - Efficient memory usage for down conversion (KIP-283)
   - Fix log divergence between leader and follower during fast leader
   failover (KIP-279)
   - Drop support for Java 7 and remove deprecated code including old scala
   clients
   - Connect REST extension plugin, support for externalizing secrets and
   improved error handling (KIP-285, KIP-297, KIP-298 etc.)
   - Scala API for Kafka Streams and other Streams API improvements
   (KIP-270, KIP-150, KIP-245, KIP-251 etc.)

Release notes for the 2.0.0 release:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc2/RELEASE_NOTES.html

*** Please download, test and vote by Friday, July 13, 4pm PT

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:

http://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts to be voted upon (source and binary):

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc2/

* Maven artifacts to be voted upon:

https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/

* Javadoc:

http://home.apache.org/~rsivaram/kafka-2.0.0-rc2/javadoc/

* Tag to be voted upon (off 2.0 branch) is the 2.0.0 tag:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/tree/2.0.0-rc2

* Documentation:

http://kafka.apache.org/20/documentation.html

* Protocol:

http://kafka.apache.org/20/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 2.0 branch:

Unit/integration tests: https://builds.apache.org/job/kafka-2.0-jdk8/72/

System tests: https://jenkins.confluent.io/job/system-test-kafka/job/2.0/27/

/**************************************

Thanks,

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

We found a blocker in 2.0.0 which is a bug in the newly added OAuth
protocol implementation (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-7182).
Since the current implementation doesn't conform to the SASL/OAUTHBEARER
spec in RFC-7628, we need to fix this before the release to conform to the
spec and avoid compatibility issues later. A fix is currently being
reviewed and I will try and create RC3 later today.

Many thanks to everyone who tested and voted for RC2. Please help test RC3
if you have time.

Regards,

Rajini

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
+1. Verified the following:

--
-- Guozhang

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

- Ran testAll/releaseTarGzAll on 2.0.0-rc2 tag
- Ran through quickstart of core/streams on builds generated from tag
- Ran few internal apps targeting to topics on 3 node cluster.

Thanks,
Satish.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Satish Duggana <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ismael,

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ismael,

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Rajini,

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Harsha <ka...@harsha.io>.
+1
1. Ran unit tests
2. Tested few use cases through 3-node cluster.

Thanks,
Harsha

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1 non-binding

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Ismael Juma <is...@juma.me.uk>.
Hi Rajini,

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Built executables from source and ran quickstart (Ubuntu / Java 8)

Thanks!
--Vahid

From:   Brett Rann <br...@zendesk.com.INVALID>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Cc:     Users <us...@kafka.apache.org>, kafka-clients
<ka...@googlegroups.com>
Date:   07/10/2018 09:53 PM
Subject:        Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

+1 (non binding)
rolling upgrade of tiny shared staging multitenacy (200+ consumer groups)
cluster from 1.1 to 2.0.0-rc1 to 2.0.0-rc2. cluster looks healthy after
upgrade. Lack of burrow lag suggests consumers are still happy, and
incoming messages remains the same.  Will monitor.

--

Brett Rann

Senior DevOps Engineer

Zendesk International Ltd

395 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 Australia

Mobile: +61 (0) 418 826 017

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Vahid S Hashemian <va...@us.ibm.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

From:   Brett Rann <br...@zendesk.com.INVALID>
To:     dev@kafka.apache.org
Cc:     Users <us...@kafka.apache.org>, kafka-clients
<ka...@googlegroups.com>
Date:   07/10/2018 09:53 PM

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Brett Rann <br...@zendesk.com.INVALID>.
+1 (non binding)

Re: [VOTE] 2.0.0 RC2

Posted by Gwen Shapira <gw...@confluent.io>.
+1 (binding)

- validated signatures
- quickstart on binary distributions
- unit-tests and packaging on src distribution

Looking awesome! Excited for this release and especially the new connect
features :)

--
*Gwen Shapira*
Product Manager | Confluent