Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Richard Huxton <de...@archonet.com> on 2000/10/31 22:16:54 UTC

Newbie being over-ambitious?

Sorry for the length of this question, but I've been playing with FOP for a
few days now and am stumped on this. I think I'm wasting my time, but...

I need to lay out what is basically a catalogue/directory like this:

aaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaa
bbb.ccccccc
bbb.ccccccc
bbb........
bbb.ddd.eee
bbb.ddd.eee
bbb.ddd.eee
bbb.ddd.eee
bbb.ddd.eee
bbb.ddd.eee

I know the size of (a) and (b), but (c) can be a variable number of lines
and (d) needs to flow into (e).

I can generate this stuff one page at a time, and if it overflows onto a
second page that's an error which needs to be corrected by a human, so I can
use static areas for some of the content.

Having worked through the various examples with FOP and worked through the
XSL spec (mmm nice bedtime read) am I right in saying the following:

1. FOP can't handle this at the moment
2. Worse than that, FO can't handle this at the moment (need
fancy-page-master?)

Now, I'm not in any _immediate_ hurry for this, so I'm happy to do my bit if
it just needs work on FOP, but I can't see how to do this within the
standard.

Failing that is there anything else to suggest or should I be looking at
putting tagged-text into Quark?

TIA

PS - V.impressed with FOP - the SVG+XML => PDF idea is excellent, and only
at v0.14 too!

- Richard Huxton